Dry Treatment

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by paulaswrld, Sep 16, 2008.

1. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Hi everyone, I would love to hear what the suggested dry treatment is. Also, I thought mentioned some sort of sealant? Is this needed? I see that the market is flooded with all sorts of stuff so, before buying one I thought I better ask.

I did not use any dry treatment last year and it was mentioned to me while out showing this year that I "got lucky" so if I really just got lucky, then I better treat. However, if I don't need to I would rather not.

Thanks so much,

Paula

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I always dry treat all milking does at the end of lactation. I have used several products - Tomorrow (OTC), Spectramast DC (RX), Pirsue (RX), etc.

I have had excellent results using Spectramast followed by Orbaseal internal teat sealant. This year I will also add an external teat sealant at dry off.

I highly recommend that all milking does are dry treated at the end of lactation.

Sara

3. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

4. Haglerfarm

Haglerfarm New Member

What is an internal teat sealant? Never heard of that one. How do you use it?
    I have had best luck with Quartermaster as a dry treatment.
    Les

5. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Quartermaster didn't work here for mastitis during the dry period. I much prefer the newer udder infusions.

Orbaseal is wonderful. I have been using it since it became available. You dry treat the doe with your infusion of choice and then infuse Orbaseal into the teat the same way you infused the dry treatment. However, this time don't massage it up into the udder. It forms an instant seal inside the teat. Follow with a teat dip or an external sealant.

Orbaseal doesn't disolve during the dry period. It will come out in 'strings' the first couple milkings when the doe freshens. It is easy to strain and if you miss some it isn't a big deal as it is safe for the kids to drink in the colostrum/milk.

Great stuff!

Sara

6. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

:yeahthat

Although if you are somewhat scatterbrained and forget you used it....you will think all your does freshened with mastitis when you see all the white junk coming out....speaking from experience here. :crazy

Last year was my first time using Orbeseal, and it was the first year I HAVEN'T had mastitis issues in dry does. I used Tomorrow and Orbeseal...this year I'm using Pirsue on some does. And I also dry treat all does.

7. Haglerfarm

Haglerfarm New Member

Cool, where do you get it. Does Jeffers handle it? I have never seen it.
    Tomorrow has not worked well for me. Nor did Pirsue. But, Quartermaster did. go figure.
    Thanks,
    Les

8. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I get Orbeseal at my local farm supply store but you can find it online at several places - Valley Vet, PBS Livestock, Nasco, Amercian Livestock, etc.

Sara

9. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

I use Dry-Clox for my does. Great idea though on the sealant.

10. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I only dry treat those who have had a problem ever. Previous mastitis that I have treated. A short lactation. A lop sided udder.

I love Pirsue and white glue :) Vicki