Dry treat or not?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Agape Oaks, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

I've heard it's best to dry treat & heard it's best not to.....& of course the reasons for both sides make sense to me :)

I have several does who'll be drying off in the next few days....so should I dry treat or leave them alone? & if dry treat , using what?

All does about to dry off are bred & due in 2-3 months

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

If you have had mastitis on your place, dry treat everyone. If the doe has had a problem ever, always dry treat her. If you are drying up does really early, not only dry treat her then, but also at 100 days pregnant. And then there is the technique. If you can't do it cleanly don't bother. Gloves, up on the stanchion, clean the teats and clean some more, alcohol prep pad, one for each teat, infuse. Pinch the orifice closed with another pad and sqeegy up the meds, you don't want them just in the teat. Let her stand for at least 5 minutes or use one of the new teat sealants, or one of the old (elmers white glue). But it is worse to choose to dry treat ONLY than to treat systemically true mastitis. Vicki

3. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

Never had mastitis, don't want any :)....if I've never had any should I dry treat or leave them be?

I have 2 does who are ever so slightly uneven- neg on CMT, no rise in somatic cells. Is that considered a problem?

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

If you do not have negative subclinical staph reports than dry treat you likely have it if does are uneven and you can't blame it on kids nursing etc...Vicki

5. FRW

FRW New Member

I have always dry treated everything and never had mastitis .Thank the Lord!!
    My old Milk mentor no in his 90's always dry treated all of his first freshening heifers and grown cows and then 2 weeks later stripped them out again and repeated the dry treatment for the second time Like Vicki said: sterile gloves alcohol (not betadine) infuse the teat again and then we cleaned again with alcohol and once dry we used super glue to seal off the teat orifice . If you are in an area where horn flies are bad they can hit a teat and ruin it for the life of the cow or goat. I have also used the pour on permectin approved for dairy cattle. A much lower dose as needed, but as you see any flies apply and this will keep them off the reapply as needed .The product approved for dairy can also be used when milking as flies are usually your carrier of mastitis. This poured on down there back will take care of any parasite host that want to come in for a bite to eat.
    Since the Mastitis vaccine has been out I have also given it to all young does 1 dose and repeat in 2 to 4 weeks then also given again yearly when we dry treated year. The vaccine has proved to work best on first fresheners but the my Old Mentor dairy man said he also gave it to the steers he raised as it is formulated to prevent types of staph and also strains of echoli and he said he also his numbers on sick or scouring steer calves also.
    Just thought I would share more for the old man!!

6. Floyd,

What vaccine does he give his steers....the one for Staph or the one for Coli? Since there is not way it can be the same vaccine since one is Gram poz and the other is Gram neg?

Ken

7. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

I use a vaccine for Staph and E Coli...but have to use two different types of vaccine. Just haven't found one yet that covers both. I've looked, hard. One goes orally ASAP after birth and the other is given before breeding/kidding.

Pam, aren't you on DHIR? The SCC should be listed on these does if you are. I'd personally dry treat. I usually watch the SCC every month and make a note of those that are above 3 and they get dry treated. Any problems during the lactation...they get dry treated. I think it's just good management to dry treat. It's also MUCH easier to treat during the lactation than to wait until they're dry, dry treat and then HOPE they don't freshen with mastitis.
    Kaye

8. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

:yeahthat

I dry treat every doe in my herd at the end of every lactation.

Sara

9. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Sara. how long after I stop milking should I dry treat? I currently have both Pirsue and Quartermaster here...any preference? I think I have been told to use the Quartermaster for dry treating if I had no problems?

Thanks,

Paula

10. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I dry treat when I am completely done milking for the last time during that lactation. I use SpectraMast DC as well as Orbeseal as an internal teat sealant. This year I was also able to pick up some Dry Off (external teat sealant) so I may try that instead of just teat dipping.

I have used Pirsure in the past with good results.

If you decide to go with a non-prescription infustion, I like Tomorrow/Cefa-Dri (same product).

Sara

11. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

I have Pirsue sitting on my shelf right now, never have used it :).
    I am on DHIR...Nigerian does that I'm drying off right now have SCC of .8, 1.6, 1.5, 1.5, 2.2 & the La Mancha doe (who has relatives who've had mastitis) has 4.2 (has been about the same her whole lactation). The uneven Nigerians have SCC of 5.2 & 4.3
    Interesting- I never noticed that correlation before typing it out right now! Everyone has had negative CMT. So I guess I should dry treat the uneven Nigerians & the La Mancha. Is the Pirsue OK to use? Or should I order Spectramast DC & Orbeseal?

12. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

These does definately need a dry treatment!
    I'd even have to treat the uneven Nigerians for 2 days with infusions and systemically with Naxcel. Before I completely dried them off. They have sub clinical mastitis.
    Pirsue is about the best that you can use. The medication is designed to penetrate the tissue in the udder and also walled off Staph.

13. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

OK- so will treat tonight. They're still milking probably for at least a few more weeks. Should I treat again when I do dry them off? How long should I do Naxcel?

14. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

How many days of pirsue? Just once for dry treatment? If still milking twice a day do you infuse after each milking?

15. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

I wouldn't if I treated them during the lactation. If you have time for one more test and SCC after you treat them OR pull samples after treatment and send to LSU Mastitis Clinic. Then you know if your treatment worked.
    Naxcel= 4 to 5 days at 1cc/50# SQ. I use Pirsue at 1 tube per 1/2, twice a day for 2 days (4 milkings). IF you're dealing with MM then you can get by with 1/2 a tube in ea. 1/2...BUT, BIG BUT...be very sterile!! Use lots of alcohol! wipe that tip really good and clean the orfices. OR...buy a box of sterile canulas and squirt the meds in a sterile syringe,apply canula to tip (this is one time I LIKE Lur-lock syringes).

Use the Pirsue, you already have it.
    Kaye

16. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

Kaye
    I feel like a dummy...but not sure what you mean by 1 tube per 1/2
    These are Nigerians (except for the one La Mancha). The MM is milking thru

17. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

1 tube per udder half..

18. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Big goats= 1 tube per teat. Little goats with small udders=1/2 tube per teat. Little goat with BIG UDDER= 1 tube per teat. :biggrin
    Kaye