dry skin & course hair

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by bafrienddc, Apr 15, 2008.

1. bafrienddc

bafrienddc New Member

Recenctly purchased a two year old nubian buck. He is a big gentle giant of a goat. However, his skin is really dry and his hair is very course. Is it likely that he has worms? Short of doing a fecal how else can I check for worms? I have heard of checking gums and eyelids, but I don't know what I am looking for.
    I appreciate all the help and advice I can get.

Brad Friend
    Terra Alta, WV

2. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin Guest

Brad,
    Coarse hair (looking like split ends?) can mean a copper deficiency. I know, because I'm dealing with it right now in my goats. As for worms, there's a thread in the 101 board about famacha - checking eyelids. They'll show if he's overloaded with worms, causing anemia.

There's a lot more experienced and knowledgeable folks on here who will likely give better advice, but the dry skin and coarse hair just got me to post, because I've had the same problem and only recently found out it was a copper deficiency.
    Hope this helps,
    Kathy

3. bafrienddc

bafrienddc New Member

Kathy,

Thanks for the tip. What are you doing for the copper deficiency?

Brad

4. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin Guest

Brad,
    A couple things. One, I'm learning to copper bolus (scroll down a couple pages, there's a thread on the topic) and second, I'm checking out a new mineral for my goats. I think the one I have isn't good enough. Copper bolusing isn't easy (for me anyway), but I've only attempted it once. As with all things, practice, I'm hoping, will make "pretty good" if not perfect. :)
    Kathy

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Brad what area of the country did the buck come from? Did you worm him upon arrival? It's just good basic management to worm, cocci treat, revaccinate, trim feet, delouse, quaranteen and test for CAE incoming stock.

Alot of copper defficency can be fixed with better minerals and a better understanding of feeding. But I do bolus incoming stock who I purchase from those who don't bolus, feed sweet feed or who use red minerals. Vicki

6. VickiLynne

VickiLynne Member

Vicki, why not red minerals?

Vicki Lynne in NC

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

They are high in iron which binds with both copper and calcium if in abudance. YMMV of course if you don't have high iron problems with your soil or water. Vicki

8. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin Guest

Ah, that may explain my problem. I didn't know that about red minerals. And my minerals are red....
    Kathy

9. Thermopkt

Thermopkt New Member

Where can you get non red minerals? I know you like that Tech master, or whatever it's called, but I'm a long way from any distributors. Any good ones you can get by mail order?

10. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

You can get the techmaster delivered by mail, but not sure of price.

11. Thermopkt

Thermopkt New Member

Really? Cool, I'll have to check that out! Thanks.

12. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

Kathryne,

You might be able to get ADM Rangemaster 12-12 beef cattle minerals. Excellent mineral, and if your feed store carries it, (no extra shipping)
    then excellent price - about $16.00 for 50 lbs. (probably higher by now).
    This mineral is high in copper and selenium. Don't know if you are selenium deficient. Great for you, if you are, but at 120 ppm if you are not, wouldn't be a good thing.

Call a few feed stores and ask them if they carry ADM.

13. Thermopkt

Thermopkt New Member

Very high in selenium here. Would a cattle mineral that isn't high in selenium but has plenty of copper work? And is there such a thing?