Dairy Goat Info Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a doe who has not been milked for approximately 2 months. She got bred later than expected, so she still has 8 weeks before her due date. Her udder is still full of milk, so I'm wondering if I should milk her out, or if that would be detrimental to her udder health/colostrum production. Any advice or experience is appreciated!! Thank you in advance!!

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
You can milk her out. She shouldn't fill back up (much) again until she is almost due. Just make sure to be clean about it and use good teat dip. If you want to dry treat her, you can infuse that after milking her out.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have a doe that also refused to quit milking for me, and she has a bit of an udder. It is not tight, so I have left it alone for fear of starting her back up again. This doe seems to produce if she hears the clang a milk bucket. Poor girl, doesn't she know its ok to take a break for a few months?

Kelly :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kelly- I know what you mean!! I've had a few pep talks with my girl, trying to convince her that she won't be a bad milker if she takes a break for a bit :p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts