Dry doe in milk? PICS

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Feral Nature, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Feral Nature

Feral Nature Active Member

Sugar is a 3 year old that would have been a 3rd F had she not aborted this January. She made an udder this spring but i never did anything about it as i was ill and chose to macro-manage the herd and that was the best i could do.

I finally got around to milking her out a few weeks ago. It foamed up and looked like milk till i poured it out to the cats and then it looked watery.

The doe came into heat last week and she was bred twice,

She has an udder again, even bigger. Also, this doe is always fat so looks may be deceiving, she is not pregnant.

What do i do about this udder?

I am posting a pic of her udder now, her udder when she aborted and a pic of her udder when she is in 'regular milk".

NOW today

[​IMG]

When she aborted in January 2008 (below)

[​IMG]

How she looks when in milk (below)

[​IMG]

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I would dry teat her and leave her alone until she freshens.

3. Feral Nature

Well, I have never paid attention to any of that before because i have never had this problem. Where do I read about dry-teating, in goat 101 or how do i do it?

4. Feral Nature

BTW the red is sunburn

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

just get some tomarrow from the feed store and use it. or pirsue from the vet you just infuse into the teat rub up the teat twards the udder and leave alone. Only inserting the tip abt 1/8th to 1/4 in

6. Feral Nature

Thanks...I was thinking she just wanted me to start milking her again so she could eat on the milkstand like her buddies....she felt quite left out this year, poor girl.