Drop bellys

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Patty13637, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

I have a doe who always looked like she was 5 months pregnant . I figured it was dropped stomach. I started adding yeast in there minerals and guess what ??? No more big belly , she looks normal !

Patty

2. Rose

Rose New Member

Is that the Diamond V yeast? I keep thinking I'd like to try that.

3. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Yes Diamond V yeast. I guess her system {stomach } was missing something ????

Dropped stomach is what I described above . I sure there are better ways of explaining it , Goat Medicine has a bit on it.

Patty

4. Rose

Rose New Member

I found the referenced material.

Dropped stomach is simply slack abdominal muscles, causing the appearance of extreme pregnancy. Some goats are more prone to it than others.

5. sunnygrl_ks

sunnygrl_ks Guest

ah ha! I just got a doe that has that! I figured she was just fat in a weird way..... so.... yeast will help this? I hadn't figured out what I was going to do about it. Off to research dropped belly.

hmmmm.... is there a technical name for this.... drop/ped belly doesn't bring up anything on topic.

6. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

Hmm. Thats interesting. My very prolific doe has a dropped stomach. I always blamed in on the fact that she's had 2 sets of quints, 4 sets of quads and 2 sets of trips. However at appraisals last month the appraiser pointed out how short her back rib on each side is. So so area of attachment for those ligs and muscles that help hold that all up-But, Very interesting about the yeast! how old was the doe that is helped?

7. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

She is 5 or 6.

Patty

8. sunnygrl_ks

sunnygrl_ks Guest

9. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

This is exactly what's going on with my 4 yr old. EVERYONE who comes to look at the goats says "when is she going to have her babies?". I get tired of explaining...she kidded in Feb., that's just the way she is, she's stretched out, blah blah blah. She has no excuse though, she's had 3 sets of twins and a single. I should try to get a picture, it's really pretty goofy looking. I should try the yeast once, how much do you mix in and where do you get it?

10. mysacrificenubians

mysacrificenubians New Member

I must suffer from a dropped stomach too!

My 6 yo doe looks just like the picture from the book. Don't know if any of her daughters have it also. I just figured ten kids in 3 years did it to her.

11. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

I mix 1 scoop of minerals and about a half of a scoop of yeast.

Patty

12. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

It does no harm to the animal.

Look at it this way...she'll never be faulted on lack of body capacity. :D
    Kaye

13. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

That may be true...but I still think it's ugly. Would much prefer the trimmer barrel-shape belly than what she has. She gets so wide when she's pregnant that all the hair rubs off each side. I've got pictures to prove it.