Dairy Goat Info Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started my kids on sulfa-met today, and I was using a 20cc feeding syringe. I went slowly tilting their head back and putting it in the back of their mouth. I would put a little in and let go so they could swallow, but half the time the would just hold it untill I was through and then some would leak out of their mouth. They just didn't want to swallow it. If I kept their head held up to try to force them to swallow they would act like they where gaging so I stopped doing that. What is the proper technique for kids? I have done the adults several times with no problems, but this is the first time with kids.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
The kind of sulfa I use on kids is one you don't need too much of. The dose is 1cc per 5# the first day and then 1cc per 10# the four remaining days. For small goatlings, I only need a 5cc syringe and my kids seem to get most if not all of it down with out a problem. I just squirt it in a little at a time, making sure they don't inhale it. Of course, they make these little yuck noises when I finish. Kathie

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
I use a small syringe also that big one may be just to large around also I have a large one that has a long tip on the end which maybe what your talking abt I put it in the back side of the mouth where thier back teeth are and slowly give it.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
They do act like they are gagging even when they're not. I hold their mouths shut, stick syringe in the corner of the mouth and push it to the back of the throat, then dispense a little at a time, stroke their throats until they swallow. They can be little stinkers about it....but then again I've had some actually suck it out of the syringe. That makes it easy.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
:biggrin My secret weapon....Wal-Mart SNOWCONE SYRUP... When I start the Corid treatments, I draw up the Corid-yuck, nasty, vile tasting stuff-, then pour some syrup in a cup...draw up about 1-2cc of that in the syringe. Usually by day 3-4 of the 1st treatment, they're up on the fence wanting the syringe! Makes my life so much easier when they weight 60-70#'s.

And NO! there's not one thing in it that is any benefit to goats...other than the flavor.
My 5yr. old Togg buck will take ANYTHING out of syringe, as will a 4yr. old Saanen doe.

BTW...I use strawberry or cherry flavor. Not exactly sure I want them "hooked" on Pina Colada flavor...just in case someone walks by the pen in a "wet county". :lol

Another tip to keep drench from being aspirated...keep the nose lower than the eyes. Also makes swallowing easier.
Kaye

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
would it hurt to premix the syrup and the Meds. in a container before you go out to dose them or will this degrade the effectiveness of the Meds.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess I answered my own question. I mixed some up and let is sit an hour or so and there was crystals floating around and settled on the bottom.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts