Drenching technique

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Dusty, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Dusty

Dusty Member

I started my kids on sulfa-met today, and I was using a 20cc feeding syringe. I went slowly tilting their head back and putting it in the back of their mouth. I would put a little in and let go so they could swallow, but half the time the would just hold it untill I was through and then some would leak out of their mouth. They just didn't want to swallow it. If I kept their head held up to try to force them to swallow they would act like they where gaging so I stopped doing that. What is the proper technique for kids? I have done the adults several times with no problems, but this is the first time with kids.

2. goatkid

goatkid New Member

The kind of sulfa I use on kids is one you don't need too much of. The dose is 1cc per 5# the first day and then 1cc per 10# the four remaining days. For small goatlings, I only need a 5cc syringe and my kids seem to get most if not all of it down with out a problem. I just squirt it in a little at a time, making sure they don't inhale it. Of course, they make these little yuck noises when I finish. Kathie

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I use a small syringe also that big one may be just to large around also I have a large one that has a long tip on the end which maybe what your talking abt I put it in the back side of the mouth where thier back teeth are and slowly give it.

4. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

They do act like they are gagging even when they're not. I hold their mouths shut, stick syringe in the corner of the mouth and push it to the back of the throat, then dispense a little at a time, stroke their throats until they swallow. They can be little stinkers about it....but then again I've had some actually suck it out of the syringe. That makes it easy.

5. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:biggrin My secret weapon....Wal-Mart SNOWCONE SYRUP... When I start the Corid treatments, I draw up the Corid-yuck, nasty, vile tasting stuff-, then pour some syrup in a cup...draw up about 1-2cc of that in the syringe. Usually by day 3-4 of the 1st treatment, they're up on the fence wanting the syringe! Makes my life so much easier when they weight 60-70#'s.

And NO! there's not one thing in it that is any benefit to goats...other than the flavor.
    My 5yr. old Togg buck will take ANYTHING out of syringe, as will a 4yr. old Saanen doe.

BTW...I use strawberry or cherry flavor. Not exactly sure I want them "hooked" on Pina Colada flavor...just in case someone walks by the pen in a "wet county". :lol

Another tip to keep drench from being aspirated...keep the nose lower than the eyes. Also makes swallowing easier.
    Kaye

6. Dusty

Dusty Member

would it hurt to premix the syrup and the Meds. in a container before you go out to dose them or will this degrade the effectiveness of the Meds.

7. Dusty

Dusty Member

I guess I answered my own question. I mixed some up and let is sit an hour or so and there was crystals floating around and settled on the bottom.