Drawing Blood

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Little Moon, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Little Moon

Little Moon New Member

Does anyone have any "pointers" on drawing blood? I want to do this so I can run tests on my herd, but it is a little intimidating. I have studied the photo's of the young girl doing it, but I would really appreciate any tips you may have to share.

Thanks,
    Anne

2. leslieh

leslieh New Member

First time I drew blood, I was so nervous. I stick that poor girl 3 times before I hit the vein. What I did wrong was that I wasn't going deep enough. I felt the "pop" when the needle went into the skin. When I finally went deeper, I felt the second smaller "pop" when it went into the vein. Also, be sure and hold the vein off tight and it will plump up and it will be easier to hit. Be sure to angle the needle upward.

You CAN do this! Also, I have found that the higher someone holds their head up, it seems to be easier for me to hit the vein. One of our stands has a low head piece and I couldn't get the blood easy on them. And on one, I just gave up. The next day, that stand was occupied and we put her on the stand with the higher head piece and it was so much easier.

Hopefully some of this will help.

Leslie

3. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

Make sure to shave it as bald in that spot as you can and some rub the spot of needle entry with an alcohol pad and then stick it in. Make sure the needle tip is pointed up and the syringe/tube is angled down.

You can do it! Good for you for getting up the nerve. :biggrin

4. Little Moon

Little Moon New Member

Thank you both. I knew there were more tricks to it than what were in the pictures!

Thanks a bunch!
    Anne

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I just let Theresa do mine :)

6. Little Moon

Little Moon New Member

Sondra - does she travel? :rofl

Anne

7. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I don't use an alcohol pad here. OMG, that would take forever! I also don't shave the spot. However, when you are new at pulling blood it can be helpful in finding the vein.

Keep it simple.

Sara

8. Nancy

Nancy New Member

We are going to try to draw our blood this year. We usually have the vet do it.

9. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Same here, Sara! I don't want shaved necks on my does. If the vein is held off tight enough with the thumb, it pumps up like a water hose.
    Kaye

10. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

You have to remember what it is like to be new :)

Shave the area, a 50 blade isn't too short :rofl
    Wipe with alcohol.
    Have someone hold the goats head straight up and press on the jugular low on the neck with their finger, watch the vein buldge out in front of you above their finger. Put your needle in the buldge, it's easiest if the needle is in the same direction as the vein is. Always pull more blood rather than less.
    Label each sample as you go.

Next time you won't have to shave, won't have to use the other persons finger...and then one day not even someone else to hold the head up!

Vicki

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

YEH RIGHT am sure after three tries I'll just zip right thru it :)
    I am not even too good holding the head up for Theresa.

12. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:blush Yeah, guess your right!

I pen everyone in one pen, have blood tubes and needles, ( I use vacutainer set up-needle & tube in one set up) , grab a doe, bend her neck around my hip, draw blood, turn her loose...till I run out of goats or tubes. Everyone HAD two tubes- one for WSU, one for Bio-tracking. This year was nice to send blood to one place and only have to draw 1 tube.
    Kaye

13. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I am going to start doing that also Kaye. Use biotracking for blood testing and at the same time CAE on them also. I am just going to change my contract to a current CAE test during this pregnancy rather than the current year. Vicki

14. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

And it is a heck of a lot easier to pull blood on dairy goats than it is on boer goats. My Boers have such thick meaty necks you can't hardly find that darn vein on those guys. It is easier when you are first starting out to shave the area over the vein. It was for me. Now I can just clip my girls to the fence up high, so their head is held up and in just a quick smooth move insert and draw and it is all over in about 20 seconds. You can do it. Practice makes perfect.

15. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

That is a good idea about clipping them to the fence up high. I like that. Thanks.

16. Little Moon

Little Moon New Member

Thank you everyone, I really appreciate your advice on this. I am intimidated, but I was the same way before I first trimmed hooves too! :rofl What size needle do you use? I will be drawing it into a syringe, and then filling my blood tubes.

Thanks,
    Anne

17. leslieh

leslieh New Member

I use an 18 gauge X 1" needle. I want to be able to draw the blood quickly. This has worked well for me. I think some people use a 20 gauge x 1" also.

Leslie

18. Sharpgoat

Sharpgoat New Member

Well I fell I can get the job done now after pulling blood on a five year old Boer buck with enough skin on his neck for five goats and I did it by myself. :biggrin
    He keep moving his head and it is very thick skin. :whew
    I got so excited when I got the vein that I pulled 12 cc only need a few. :blush2
    The Boer goats do have thicker skin my Boer does are in some really nasty brush and rarely have a scratch on there udders and when I let the dairy girls go eat brush one came back with a teat split open.:sigh
    I use the 18 G needle on a syringe.
    Fran

19. Terry

Terry Member

I just have Autumn do mine. But next time I am going to try it myself. With her assistance of course.
    Terry

20. Theresa

Theresa New Member

Hi Anne!
    Yes, I would travel to your place to draw blood if you would pay my way :biggrin Then I could go see my family that lives in Wyoming!!

But you can do this. It really is not as hard as you think. I draw blood on people, so do have experience. I found that the first time I drew blood on the goats it was easier for me to shave a small area of the neck. This way you can see and feel the vein. The larger the needle you use the faster the blood will come out. I just clipped them to the fence, had Sondra hold their head high, shaved the neck, pinched off the vein, stuck and was done. You will want to have a piece of gauze or cotton ball to apply pressure when you remove then needle. But it is really easy. I wish I was coming up there this year because I would come and help you do it the first time, just so you would see how easy it is. But you can do it.
    Theresa