Dose for worming with SafeGuard???

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by eliya, Aug 8, 2008.

1. eliya

eliya New Member

O.K. I know I should know this info, but I can't seem to remember it.

Vet did a fecal for me and found hookworms. She recommended Panacur (1x per day for 5 days and then 21 days later) or SafeGuard (1 dose and then 21 days later). Is this how you are supposed to do SafeGuard for goats? I thought I remembered something about 10 days later?
    Also what is the dose for the SafeGuard (liquid for goats)?

I think in the past I did this at about 7cc per 100# body weight (tripled the directions of the container) per day for three days and then again after 10 or 21 days.

I'm sorry I sound so ignorant on this - I'm sure I have all this information somewhere in my head, but I can't remember it for the life of me!

2. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Panacur:
    Panacur® (fenbendazole) Paste 10% contains the active anthelmintic, fenbendazole

Safe-Guard®
    (Intervet)
    10% Fenbendazole
    For the control of lungworms, stomach and intestinal worms.

:lol They're both the same drug and both 10%...so why would you use it at different rates?

I have a question. Is this vet a large animal vet? If no, then I would use Cydectin. Just a hunch. Ivomec will also get "hookworms". To a small animal vet, hookworm and HC eggs would look similar.
    Oh, and you really can't overdose the above two. For tapes, I use Safe-Guard and give 1/4 a horse tube per kid-30-50#( 1/2 a tube for 50+)...I don't even worry about measuring it. At this dose I only do it once, then in about a week will start watching the kid for signs of tapes. Seems to work for me.
    Kaye

3. eliya

eliya New Member

That's what I thought???

This is a dog and cat vet. The 'large animal' vets won't really look at the goats. ;)

4. eliya

eliya New Member

On the Cydectic, do you use "Injectable for cattle" or "Oral Sheep Drench" for the goats? Is it given orally?

Also the list of what it kills does not include hookworm (Bunostomum), do you really think I should just assume my vet misidentified the parasite?

5. eliya

eliya New Member

Oh, and the SafeGuard bottle says it controls Haemonchus contortus. That is what you meant by HC, right?

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Yes your vet was looking at dog and cat poop :)

Get the Cydectin cattle pouron, use it at 1cc per 22 pounds orally. If you see tapes in kids, it's the only time it warants a worming for tapes...in which you would use safeguard/panacur or Valbazen and I think Synanthic (think it's pretty close to Valbazen minus the flukicide). Vicki

7. eliya

eliya New Member

Great and she charged me $20 for nothing?! Oh, well. I think I need to get my own microscope and do my own!!!

For the Cydectin, do I do that again after 10 days, or is it only once? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I get this right!

8. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

I only use the Cydectin once. no repeat in 10 days. Then fecal once a month to keep an eye on numbers. BUT, with your vet?????? :lol at $20/a misdiagnosis...you can afford to buy a microscope in no time!
    Ivomec+ when I'm after liverfluke, yes. I'll worm for 3 times 10 days apart.
    Kaye

9. NubianSoaps.com

If you haven't ever wormed, or if you find out you really have never wormed correctly, you might want to worm the whole group. Now, in 10 days and then in another 10 days. Breaks the lifecycle of adult worms. If you can get them out of their pens for about 12 hours after worming so they aren't just pooping those larve and eggs right back into the area they will travel and reinfest themselves again, its the best. This could also be your pre breeding wormer, leaving you with really no wormings again until winter if you have snails...lungworm liverfluke, but of course do a fecal in winter also to see if you have cool weather worms up there. vicki

10. eliya

eliya New Member

Thanks everyone.

Vicki, I was thinking of doing them all. I have been using Molly's herbal wormer. We've had some crazy weather here this year and I think that has helped to get the worms a little out of control. Do you suggest the Cydectin 3 times ten days apart? Or were you thinking a different wormer?

Keeping them in a different area for 12 hours after worming is a great idea. How long can the worms/eggs live in the soil if there aren't any goats on it? I think I could fence a temporary area in the hay field for them right after worming.

Kaye, Yep, I think that microscope would pay for itself mighty fast!

11. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

"I think I need to get my own microscope and do my own!!!"

yup and amen

just make sure that you use mcmaster chambered slides

12. NubianSoaps.com

Yes I would use Cydectin but the worms I fight are HC. And until you get a good hard freeze this winter, the eggs and larve will be in the ground. Biggy is to make sure you worm good and don't overwinter worms in your goats or in the bedding of your barn...which 'hatch' with the spring thaw and infest your goats again. Vicki

13. eliya

eliya New Member

Thanks.

I did the FAMACHA eye anemia check on the goats and most of them are between the borderline and dangerous colors, so I will need to do them. A few were in the acceptable range. I think I'll be going ahead and worming them all. I just have to get a worming pen ready. Think I can make it in our hay field? We wouldn't cut that part until next year. I'm ordering the Cydectin now (I've been out of town this weekend - otherwise, I would have done it sooner).

14. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

I used Safeguard on my goats and I might as well not worm them at all. I followed up with Cydectin like Vicki suggested and my girl is all better. Her eye lids were completely white. Now the color has returned. Cydectin might cost a little more, but is well worth the money.

15. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Just a note on fecals...you would be best off learning how to do them yourself. Next bet...take it to the large animal vet. Believe it or not, they are far closer to cows than to dogs and cats. I worked in a small animal clinic for two years, knew fecals like the back of my hand....and the only parasite I would correctly recognize on a goat fecal would be coccidia. That looks the same. Or liver flukes.

16. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Sorry, wrong. Each species has species specific parasites. Only thing you will find in cows and goats is HC...and HC has little if any impact on bovine. Even liver flukes are different.
    Kaye

17. eliya

eliya New Member

What is the milk withdrawal time for Cydectin? The label says none, but that is if it is being poured on. I'm thinking I won't use the milk for about a week - will that be long enough?

18. NubianSoaps.com

Eliya I use 48 hours. Vicki

19. eliya

eliya New Member

Thanks Vicki. I tend to be a little paranoid when it comes to drugs, so I think I'll wait at least 4 days... It's good to know what you do, I wasn't sure if I was thinking long enough or not. Thanks for the response!