Dosage for Di-Methox...

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by mill-valley, Aug 7, 2008.

1. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

What is the mg/kg or mg/lb for Di-Methox? What I have is Sulfadimethoxine...the ones in Goat 101 are sulfamethazine or sulfaquinoxaline. Are these the same thing? My Merck manual says 55 mg/kg, another book I have (Goatkeeper's Vet Manual by Peter Dunn) says 145 mg/kg????

Also...what I have is the soluble powder, 94.6 g total. Packet directions say mix with 1 gallon water giving me 24.6 mg/ml...can I mix with less water so I can give less cc's per kid?

2. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

I use Dimethox 40% injectable orally

For prevention:
    1cc per 10 pounds the first day, days 2, 3, 4 and 5 use 1/2 the dosage. Do it every 21 days. Count from the first day you started and count forward to 21. Repeat until the kids are six month of age.

For Treatment:
    1 cc per 10 pounds for 5 days.

Christy

3. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Goat medicine: Sulfadimethoxine= 75mg/kg to be given at the same dose for 5 days.
    No, they are not the same thing.
    And Dimethox 40% is 400mg/ml and a lot stronger than what you have.

If you cut the water to 1qt+1pt+whole packet, then it comes to 73.8mg/ml. This dose will get you close to the 75mg/kg dose with 1 ml of the mix.
    Kaye

4. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Thanks Kaye, need to get myself a copy of that book.

5. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

6. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

I guess they changed factories or something, I couldn't get it this year either. I hope we can get it next year.

Christy