Don't laugh! Question about fainters!

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by prairiecomforts, Jan 11, 2008.

1. prairiecomforts

prairiecomforts New Member

Okay - no one can laugh - but I have a question about fainting goats! Maybe I shouldn't admit it - but we have one. :blush2 Last spring my friend Tammy called and said she had a bottle baby that she didn't have time for and she wanted to give her to my children. Well - I can never say no to a bottle baby - so we got her when she was 3 days old. She is really cute! All black in color except for a little white right on her forhead. Anyway - she did really good all summer and fall - but seems to be taking the winter pretty hard. So I am wondering - do these little fainting goats need more "babying" in the winter than dairy or meat goats? Also - if someone has experience with these goats - can you tell me how big they get?

2. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Not laughing ...but I would think they would do as well as a Pygmy or a Nig would do in the winter and they get to about the same size as the Pygmy . What are you feeding her...does she hold her body weight well and have some body fat? I might up her alfafa pellets to help her hold her heat better, that is what helps some of my goats.

3. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

You live in North Dakota, of course the little thing is taking the winter hard! :rofl

4. prairiecomforts

What's funny is Bob was so concerned about her - he built a little house for her and packed it full of straw - just so she stays warm! Then last weekend he totally blew me away when he told me that maybe I should get another one from Tammy so the goat (also named Tammy) has someone to suggle with to keep warm! :? I mean this is a big guy - 6'4 who just towers over this little goat - but she follows him like a dog - so he is trying to make things nice for her this winter. I think I am going to make a little coat for her tomorrow. They are saying it is going to get bitterly cold this coming week.

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Fainters are supposedly meat goats and get as big
    Tennessee meat goats are fainter or myotonic goats. and she should be able to withstand any thing the rest of your goats do.

6. Melissa

Melissa New Member

Myra, keep Diane in mind when the summer hits.

-Melissa

7. lyceum

lyceum New Member

We have had a few fainters and still have 1 lone wether. I have heard that they come in a couple of different sizes. We have had fainters not much bigger than nigies. I would think that they would have no problems. Ours have always been fat muscular things. I would get her a buddy, keep her nice and snuggled in her house and make sure she gets good hay and grain!

Carisa

8. prairiecomforts

This goat is pretty small. I talked to Tammy this morning and she told me that both mom and dad were small - so this one should stay small too. I am going to try to find her a buddy to cuddle with and if things get really cold - I will move her in the bunny barn in the heated barrel. She is just too cute - I sure don't want to see her suffer in the cold! (And no more jokes about ND winters! It is bad enough to live through them! Believe me - in another month when it dips down to -30 and stays for 2 weeks straight - I will be threatening Bob that I am going to pack up and move to FL!)

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

:biggrin
    That is exactly what I did and spent the rest of the winter in Fl then moved permanetly to TX :rofl

10. prairiecomforts

I have to ask Sondra (because I am being nosey) did you take your husband with you - or did you just take the goats? :lol Bob knows where he rates in this and "who" would be going with! ;)