Doing your own fecals question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Ashley, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Yesterday I collected some berries from a couple goats to try out doing my own fecal checks. The first one I did (Penny) I saw two eggs. One was a barberpole worm for sure, but one I didn't identify, I saw it then promply lost it.

The second one I only saw one egg(don't know what kind, looked "empty" but it was oval and had a wall), but there was sooo much debri, that's my question. Doesn't this block your view of the eggs? I mixed up the poo with the supersaturated epsom solution, then strained it through a fairly fine sieve and then poured this into the test tube, stuck the slide on top and waiting 20 minutes. The fiber floats and much of it gets on the slide. Do y'all strain through something finer? Or is this how it's typically done? I did fecals at the vets I used to work at when I was a teenager (I helped out for free for experience) but it's been a while. I can remember there were some fibers, but this was dog poo.

I'm wanting to redo these two does.

2. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

I strain mine through a tea strainer and don't have much fiber at all on the slide.

3. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Well, I'm confused because the sieve I used is finer than a tea strainer (at least finer than the one we have)... Do you not press the "juice" out? Maybe I shouldn't be doing that.

4. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

I press some, but don't completely mush it thru.

5. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Hmm, maybe I was too agressive, I will have to try it again.