doing own fecal test question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Rose, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Rose

Rose New Member

Those of you who do your own fecals....

What do you use to hold the solution when you are putting the cover slip on top of the solution to 'catch' the eggs as they float up?

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

test tubes here but you can use file containers

3. Belle

Belle New Member

I also use test tubes.

4. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Next time you are at the vets office, get them to sell/give you 2 or 3 of the ones that they use. ....and don't let him charge you $5 a piece for them either....those things are pretty cheap.
    A lady told me today that she was using tops off of a hair spray bottle......the ones that just about fit on your little finger like a thimble. I bet they work good, and don't use near as much solution.

Whim

5. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

We don't do that method. Honestly - floating on to a cover slip gives you no accurate way to calculate EPG. It is a bit of a waste of time IMHO. This is also why so many people's vets give them the completely useless diagnosis, "You have worms." They are not measuring EPG.

You really, really should get the McMaster's slides. In fact, you really, really should get this kit: http://www.vetslides.com/EPGfecalkit.html
    It eliminates the straining, mashing, etc., etc. and gives accurate, meaningful results that are arrived at in the same, easy way every time.

There are two complete sets in there, so you could reduce your price by half by going in on a kit with a friend.

I know we are not supposed to say things like "my way is the only way" - but I feel pretty strongly about the McMaster's slides. .- the rest of the kit, well - it just makes it cleaner, faster and easier.

6. Rose

Rose New Member

Thank you! I'll be ordering the kit tomorrow. I have a microscope that my mom gave me when I was in junior high. It's a really good one!