Dogs & Tape Worms

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by MF-Alpines, Sep 30, 2013.

1. MF-Alpines

MF-Alpines New Member

My 9yo Lab has tape worms. I can see them on and around her anus. Can I give her Valbazen for them and if so, at what dose?

Thanks for the help.

2. swgoats

swgoats New Member

I don't know about Valbazen in dogs. i know Prazquentel is used in dogs.

3. punchiepal

punchiepal Member

Safeguard is ok for dogs also. Be sure to treat for fleas also as that is how they get tapeworms.

4. MF-Alpines

MF-Alpines New Member

So can someone recommend a dose? Or should I go to the pet store. I know if I go to the vet, they will want to see her and will charge me an arm and a leg.

No fleas. None. Really.

5. fmg

fmg New Member

Tapeworms in dogs and cats also come from rodents.

6. MF-Alpines

MF-Alpines New Member

7. lonestrchic23

lonestrchic23 New Member

I use Safeguard liquid, 1cc per 5lbs for 3 days in a row in dogs. I have Great Danes and buy the big cattle jug.... Occasionally use it in the goats too, for things like pin worms :p Just had a litter of pups in December, used Safeguard at 4, 6 & 8 weeks old... At their preflight exams at the vet, he said my puppies had the prettiest fecals he's seen :) lol

I use my injectable Ivermectin in the dogs too. 1cc per 100lbs as heartworm prevention and get a yearly heartworm test... Have haf negative heartworm test for 9 years now doing this... (Not for use in collies or breeds with Ivermectin sensitivity)

Nice when my goat meds do a double whammy with the dogs :)

8. dragonlair

dragonlair New Member

I buy horse or livestock de-wormers and use it on the horses, dogs, goats, chickens and cats. Saves major money, since I buy it once a year when it is on sale.