Dogs and Neighbors

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Wild4goats, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Wild4goats

Wild4goats New Member

OK so I live in a very rural area. We have lions, bears, and coyotes. So I am just building my herd and I have two guardian dogs. My plan is to have a minimum of 20 goats in my main herd. I have 8 so far. Right now I lock the goats in at night, but I let the dogs run loose on the property to patrol. If they see something they dont think is right, they bark. The last few nights have been a full moon, so they bark a lot more because they can see more. Deer, skunks etc that are out at night roaming around.
    Today I got a call from the neighbor who tells me everyone is complaining about my dogs barking and could I do something about them. I sleep with my windows open as well, and I have gotten up a couple of times to check on what they were barking at, but most of the time I dont hear them. So now I have 2 choices. Ignore my neighbors request and make enemies, which means they call the county on me for anything they can find. Or I forget about having goats! Right now I have enough space to keep them all secure, but figured when I got more, I would have an outside shelter but depend on the dogs to protect them. Now that wont work. Any suggestions? :-/

2. LibertyHomesteadFarm

LibertyHomesteadFarm New Member

I would suggest getting together with your neighbors and talking it over, that way they can see you're side of the problem. :)

3. TexasGoatman

TexasGoatman New Member

I like the first response. Talking with the neighbors can't hurt anything. Heck they might want some milk or meat which ever kind of goats you have. Explain your side of the story and ask for their help in keeping your goats safe. You might encourage them to own some goats also. Then you have something in common with then and can work together. Just a thought. If all else fails, put up elect fences around your place this will help keep out the other animals and the lion, bears and coyotes. just put enough wires up that they can't get through with out getting hit. All it takes is money :)

4. tendermeadowsnigerians

tendermeadowsnigerians Senior Member

Can you lock the dogs up with the goats at night?

5. Lizza4481

Lizza4481 New Member

Train the Dogs good!

6. goatgirl2

goatgirl2 New Member

I think you should just get an electric fence then it will keep everything away

7. Cheryl Glover

Cheryl Glover New Member

I just moved into a new area. loose dogs. lotta barking. pretty crazy for the first month or two.
    NOw things have begun to settle. making peace with the neighbors has helped me.
    I am wondering how long your goat project has been underway?

I just have two Nubians.