Dairy Goat Info Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First timer here with a doe that's due anytime? with her first. She free ranges with my billy, but she started bagging up about 3-4 weeks ago and has had just a little discharge since then,
tonight I found her with this. Does this mean she's close? Her and my Billy are both pygmys.
Brown Dog Liver Dog breed Carnivore

Working animal Liver Ear Dog breed Fawn

Brown Felidae Carnivore Small to medium-sized cats Dog breed

·
Super Moderator
106 Posts
If she is pregnant you should not have her with your bucks no longer. They can ram into her sided and possibly even her the babies inside of her. She’s definitely pregnant but as a little while to go yet. Discharge can mean it was just cuz she was with the bucks but also females do, do this when their pregnant. Her udder does seem like it has a lil ways to go yet. Watch the udder. And when it seems to get tighter and more filled, check those ligaments daily

·
Registered
4 Posts
The best way to tell is:
#1 record keeping, though that just gives the roundabout time.
#2 tendons on either side of the tail, will drop, in first time fresheners they'll drop sooner, then in say an older doe whose kidded many times where they tend to drop within 24hrs.
#3 behavior changes such as nesting, etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It certainly does look like her udder is tightening.. yep.. she is getting closer
soon here, you should probably start checking those ligaments! Morning and Evening!
I have been..just practicing..I think I found the right spot for them, i just keep checking the until I feel a difference, then I'll know the for sure spot.

·
Super Moderator
106 Posts
Yep.. it took me a lil while to learn to....if you start at her spine/backbone, just start their and go all the way down to the sides of her tail and u should be able to feel hard rope like things, one on either side. They should begin to feel squishy when their loosening. Once they are completely gone you should be able to put you hand completely around her tail and you should be able to feel no more rope like things.. here is a picture to kinda show u
Hair Nose Head Plant Eyebrow

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep.. it took me a lil while to learn to....if you start at her spine/backbone, just start their and go all the way down to the sides of her tail and u should be able to feel hard rope like things, one on either side. They should begin to feel squishy when their loosening. Once they are completely gone you should be able to put you hand completely around her tail and you should be able to feel no more rope like things.. here is a picture to kinda show u
View attachment 2290
Is it possible for one lig to be gone? I only feel the left side..its thicker, but not super hard, but cant seem to feel the right side.

·
Super Moderator
106 Posts
Is it possible for one lig to be gone? I only feel the left side..its thicker, but not super hard, but cant seem to feel the right side.
I have never had a doe have just one gone but yes it is possible. If the other one is starting to soften and like feel squishier then normal, then yes. I think it is very possible the one is gone. If she has one gone be sure to check those ligaments every so often throughout the day. Cause she could be kidding late this evening or during the night or even tomorrowhow does her udder look. Does it had more of a harder or just really tight feel to it? And possibly looks a bit shiny? Does it look like her babies have dropped yet? Is she wanting to be alone from the other goats?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have never had a doe have just one gone but yes it is possible. If the other one is starting to soften and like feel squishier then normal, then yes. I think it is very possible the one is gone. If she has one gone be sure to check those ligaments every so often throughout the day. Cause she could be kidding late this evening or during the night or even tomorrowhow does her udder look. Does it had more of a harder or just really tight feel to it? And possibly looks a bit shiny? Does it look like her babies have dropped yet? Is she wanting to be alone from the other goats?
Shes been by herself for a week or so..Billy thinks he's a cow so he hangs out in the field with them and she stays in our yard or back porch. I have noticed the past few nights,, ill let her inside for a few minutes and she comes and lays her head on my lap just wanting me to pet her.. I havent notice them dropping yet but she's taking a little longer to stand up and waddling a bit more. Her udder is definitely fuller and teats are a little thicker. Just a waiting game, but we have the pen set up and ready for when her other has disappeared

·
Super Moderator
106 Posts
Ya definitely a pregnant doe there... ya that is another sign of them getting closer. They will put their head against something or like even you. Ya after it disappears it can anywhere from 6-24 hours.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is her other ligament still there? How is she doing?
This is her tonight. Sp the little rope thing I felt was gone on the original side but I could feel it on the opposite side now. Tonight it doesn't feel nearly as thick or hard, almost like it was sucked in a little bit because its not as prominent..it doesn't look like the babies have dropped yet since she's still pretty round, but we are watching for any signs that we are getting closer
Plant Dog breed Working animal Fawn Tree

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yep looks like she’s just having some discharge.. Some does can start having that 1 month before they kid but others will sometimes just be a week or 2 before they kid..
This morning I cant feel them at all on either side so they are either softer or gone. She free ranges mainly so im slowly getting her used to being in a pen..I dont want to get her too stressed out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
🥳if she’s acting off I would go ahead and put her in the pen
she won’t care if she’s abt to kid.. keep us updated..
Has she made herself a nest, Have her kids dropped, Looking back at her sides, Staring off into space, Very restless? All sure signs of labor..
Her hips are sticking out a little more. She still had pretty thick hair that I've been working on getting brushed out, but today she had this. Its not as thick as what I've looked up as impending labor but its definitely more than what I've been seeing.
Cloud Sky Fog Cumulus Landscape

1 - 20 of 31 Posts