Does this make sense?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by dragonlair, Aug 8, 2013.

1. dragonlair

dragonlair Active Member

I leased my Nubian buck to a local woman because I have several of his daughters and wouldn't need him for breeding except for 2 does. Lease paperwork signed.

I contacted adga and asked how I would go about getting the kids registered next year where i was still the owner but he was leased to another person. This is the reply I was given:

Hi Deb,
    If you have wanting the kids papers to show that you are indeed the breeder and owner, you will need to have the lease end before you breed the does.

Thanks,

ADGA Customer Service
    PO BOX 865
    Spindale, NC 28160
    828-286-3801 (phone)
    828-287-0476 (fax)

Has anyone else run into this? I guess I should have checked before leasing him out, but I really didn't think it would be a problem and I wouldn't be able to register the kids.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Buck

Can you just get the person leasing the buck to give you a service memo? but then again I believe service memo has to be signed by owner (which would be you)?

Surely there is a way.

3. swgoats

swgoats Active Member

"The filing of this Memorandum with ADGA permits the lessee of the buck to sign service memos (as owner of the buck). If the signing of service memos is not permitted by the registered owner, this memorandum shall not be filed with ADGA. The registered owner of the buck shall send this memorandum to ADGA prior to their acceptance of the lessee’s signature on service memos."

So the lessee can write you a service memo to register your kids.

4. dragonlair

dragonlair Active Member

Well, I sort of thought that, but I wanted to be sure so I emailed. So then I get this email saying the kids can't be registered....odd.

5. swgoats

swgoats Active Member

I think the email just means that the lessee is going to listed as "owner" of the buck on your papers. If you want the papers to show you as the owner of the buck, then the buck can't be under lease through ADGA when you breed.

6. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

My understanding is, when leasing a buck or doe, with ADGA, it's like they own it. They can even use the buck for outside breedings, I think. When I "leased" my buck, I just had them pay for the breedings as individual breedings per doe and they kept him for a time we agreed on. So he was still mine and I had to give them service memos.

7. tlcnubians

tlcnubians New Member

Yes, a leased buck (or doe) is considered the property of the lessee for the duration of the lease. You have to be careful how you date the lease because if the buck comes home prior to the end date on the lease (that ADGA has on file), then you still may have to have the lessee sign a service memo in order to register offspring sired by the buck if you don't notify ADGA that the lease was terminated prior to the end date on the paperwork on file.

8. skeeter

skeeter Member

Yep, I'm learning about this for the first time this year. It has been an interesting experience. I'm not sure that I'm real motivated to do it again at this point. I do think that the rules need to be written more clearly in regards to the responsibilities of the owner and lease holder.

9. PrairieTrail45

PrairieTrail45 New Member

I have never leased a buck, but I do know someone who "leases" their buck out, but still charges per doe then just rights the owner of the does a service memo for each doe the buck bred (and each doe that is paid for). So they don't fill out an actual lease form with ADGA.

10. dragonlair

dragonlair Active Member

Yeah, I probably wouldn't do it again. I figured he needed more to do than breed 1 does this year, since all the rest are his daughters and I didn't want to use him on them at this point.

11. PrairieTrail45

PrairieTrail45 New Member

I'm kind of in the same boat... I have 3 Saanen bucks and only 3 Saanen does lol. I am going to try studding them out some this fall, but I think I will just limit them to driveway breedings this year.