does on grain strike this morning...

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by CarlinsDarlin, Jun 1, 2008.

1. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin Guest

I asked this in the "weaning" thread, but I wanted to make sure it didn't get missed because it worries me... so here's a repeat.

My babies are being dam raised this year. I separated all the babies from their mamas overnight last night - the first night this has happened (they're about 3 weeks old) - because I wanted to start milking out all the does once a day. The babies were stalled in the barn. The does could see their babies. Just couldn't get to them. Spice slept just on the other side of the gate from her doeling, in fact.

This morning NONE of the does wanted grain. None. Nobody appears sick and nothing in their diets has changed. I'm wondering if it's just nerves from being separated from the babies (I turned the babies back out with them after milking this morning) because it's everybody all at once. I put out new hay this morning, and they've eaten hay, and went out for a nibble in the grass in between rain this morning, but they didn't eat their grain on the stand, and haven't eaten a bit of alfalfa this morning either.

I don't know if anyone's milk production is down, because I just started milking them out this morning. All the girls had tight udders this morning, so I don't think production has decreased, but I don't have any hard evidence comparing milking amounts.

Cinnamon is also being witchy about not letting her babies nurse this morning, too...
    Should I be worried?
    K

2. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

You know, it may just be the change, but have you taken thier temps? Weird that all of them would refuse the eat the grain and alfalfa at once. If thier temps are low then I would start treatment with CMPK right away, but if not I would wait and see if they eat today with thier babies with them.

But take what I say with a grain of salt cause I'm fairly new to milk fever and the like myself.

3. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin Guest

Bethany,
    I had this question posted on two different threads because I was so worried :). Thankfully everyone ate fine last night, so I guess it was just nerves. This morning, they were picky again.... it may take them a few days to get used to the change, I guess. Once those babies are out with them, they act like nothing is out of the ordinary. Pretty soon they'll realize I'm actually giving them a break I hope :).
    Kathy