doe's milk production going down

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by feistygoatwoman, Jul 6, 2008.

1. feistygoatwoman

feistygoatwoman New Member

Ok- so for the past 3 days my alpine doe went from giving more than a gallon of milk a day to about 2 qts. I did have to give her different feed for a few days because our feed supplier was out. I ended up having to give her an all stock formula- which she did not like. It seems like around that time, a day or two after starting her on it, is when her milk started to go down. I drove 50 miles today to another store to get her feed today, which promotes milk production. Do you think it was the feed and her milk will go back up? If it doesn't, what else can I try. I am starting to panic a little because this is all my son can have in the form of milk. I haven't been able to find another milking goat to buy so my Nestle is all I have (yeah, I know- she's chocolate and she's a milker...teehee!)

Any advice would be wonderful!!! :help2

Amber

2. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

It was probally the feed. Ask on here and HT I am sure they can find you goat # 2 . Check her for worms. Also feeding alfalfa will up her milk.

Patty

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

This is one of the reasons I feed so plainly. I can get alfalfa pellets anywhere. I can get grass hay anywhere. I can get whole oats anywhere. No need for any change, and running out around here is a sin :) When you feed processed feeds, especially byproduct feeds you should always buy new feed before you run out period, you need to be mixing that last bag in with the new bag, because other than the guranteed analysis, the ingredeints to get to that analysis can be vastly different each milling. Vicki

4. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

We recently changed hay, to all oat hay, and all of my does went down. This hay is not the best. It's rather stemmy, with lots of oats, and they seemed to like it at first, but the novelty has worn off. They cut back on the grain they were eating, and even their pellets were not gobbled up as much. Now, however, they've grown a little tired of the hay, and are back to eating alfalfa pellets and all of their grain on the milk stand. I hope to buy some top quality orchard grass next week, which should help put things right. Their milk is starting to increase again....but diet sure does seem to influence production on my girls. No stress here, nothing out of the ordinary except a change in hay.
    Anita

5. feistygoatwoman

I gave her her regular feed today. She seemed much happier. I still only got a qt at tonights milking but I know I will have to wait a few days. She doesn't get byproduct feed, it is a special all natural feed. Because this milk is mainly for my son I only get the best. I have been trying to get it from my supplier for 2 weeks, before we ran out. They kept telling me it was coming the next day. Then we were out and I had to get something I would never feed her. That is why I drove 50 miles just to get goat feed. It is the only thing she really likes. Believe me, she is a very pampered goat. Thanks for all of your help. I do feel better that it was probably the feed. I need to find another goat or two though.

Thanks again!!!

Amber

6. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

This is an Alpine...they are pretty resiliant (sp). With the feed back in order she should come back up. Unlike Nubians. :peepwall :biggrin

LOL...Swiss breed are kinda' like Timex..."they take a lickin' and keep on ticking". Mine will drop a few #'s after a show or from something and within a few days they are right back up in production.

In Indiana an Alpine shouldn't be a problem. There are several on here from there.
    Kaye

7. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Here's a thought too. My Alpine in milk bobbled just a little bit a couple days last week. No change in feed or anything here. Kinda spooked me a little bit at first, until I seen her over at my buck pen with LOVE in her eyes. :tapfoot

I didn't think an Alpine would be in heat this time of year down here in this hot soupy south......but guess I was wrong about that one.

It was probably your change in feed though.

Whim

8. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Whim, she's probably not used to Looking Down with love in her eyes. all that strain is pulling on her milk veins ha ha ha ha.
    Hi Amber I'm in Indiana barely though, we almost got blown into Ohio with all the tornadoes last week. if I sneezed hard we blow up to mich.

9. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

"""Whim, she's probably not used to Looking Down with love in her eyes. SC """"

:rofl It is kinda a hoot to watch her stand flat footed and have these ND's walk under her like she was a bridge.
    I think My ND buck will have his work cut out for him this fall with her......I hope he will be "UP" to the task.

Whim

10. LMonty

LMonty New Member

get him a ladder, whim :)

heats are starting here too- 2 of the 4 in milk have been flagging and mooning around the boys pen the last couple of days. Milks down here a bit too.

11. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

hm my post disappeared.
    Amber, in Indiana the heat has been wildly fluctuating, My does are all suffering in the milk department. If they come into heat they drop in production, if it hits 84+ outside they drop in production. If it rains for three days sigh bad pattern.
    Whim
    I think the best thing to try unless you build him a "Loading dock" is a straw shoot bale of straw behind her and a couple on each side so he doesn't break a leg falling off. Of course she'll need him to whoo her first then when she's standing its "Prop time" I want tickets to the event!

12. feistygoatwoman

well she is slowly coming up. We are getting about 3 qts a day, so she is about a 1 qt lower than she had been, but a qt better than a few days ago. I've been on the hunt for another goat still. I live near Cincinnati, and it doesn't seem like there are many people around here with goats for sale. If anyone knows anything let me know. I didn't think about her wanting to go visit a buck ;) ;) I was starting to wonder if she was going to kid soon....(my grandmother got her for me in april and we don't know if she was bred or not) I think I am going to take her to the vet, because she is starting to look a little fat. I need to know asap in case I need to stop milking her. Gah! It's a never ending bunch of craziness!!

13. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

Maybe you can post a "wanted" on the Sale page. Camille

14. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

15. I'm from Indiana to but I have nubians not alpines. :)
    It was probably the feed that made her production go down. We have had that happen before.