Dairy Goat Info Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! Happy New Year! I have a licensed goat dairy in Maine. We make cheese, yogurt, soap, etc. I use our licensed milk in our soaps. I was wondering if I could buy milk from homesteaders to use in the soaps instead of my milk (it would be a lot cheaper and I could save my licensed milk for my food products). Does anyone know if that's legally allowed? I imagine it might vary by state. I can ask my Dairy Inspector, but I don't thinks he knows much about the legality around soap sales. Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think it's legal, but there are some procedures you should consider and follow to do everything transparently. I've been a huge fan of mild soaps, and I get mine from here Benefits & Secrets of the Best Mild Soaps [Updated 2022]. You may try to get in contact with them and ask them how did they solve this aspect. I am sure they will be happy to give you some tips or pieces of advice. Also, they are trustworthy, and you don't have to worry about this aspect. I've been their client for more than a year, and they were always over my expectations.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, we make soaps from goats milk and once we had the soaps certified and listed on the ECDB (European Cosmetics Data Base) we have continued to use milk from several sources including our own. In saying that we are in the EU so rules may differ. Given that the regulations only exist to provide traceability in the event of allergic reaction or other such anomalies I doubt very much that the source of the goats milk will ever come into question. We certainly don't worry about it, but then again, it is ultimately up to you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts