Does anyone make lip balm?

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by Amanda Lee, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Amanda Lee

Amanda Lee Member

I have been looking at their website (the sage.com) and a few others. Aroma Haven's liptubs site is were I started and then I have looked at one more site. Essentials soap supply ...I think is the name. It is on The Dish forum suppliers weekly sale page. They have the better price for tubes right now.
    I will look at the lip balm bases for melt and pour.
    Thanks Amanda

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

2 ounces cocoa Butter
    2 ounces SheaButter
    1 ounce Sweet Almond Oil
    1 ounce Apricot kernel oil
    1 ounce Avacado oil
    2 ounces of beeswax
    1/2 teaspoon vitamin E

(So really what you are doing here is 4 ounces of butter you want to use in any amount, make sure one is hard, 3 ounces of any oils and 2 ounces of beeswax or ewax or honeycomb...I do 4 cups, 3 cups and a little less than 2 cups. I get my vitamin E from columbus foods or saveonscents, depends who I am ordering what from when I am needing it. thescentworks.com also has it on sale alot.

Stevia, flavoring oils to taste.

I use a glass measuring cup....I just keep weighing and tareing the cup as I add each ingredient.

I have tweaked this a million times, adding what oils I have on hand, using ewax, wax pastilles and honeycomb. I make enough to fill a quart plastic jar, just microwave and fill lip balm pots as I need to make them. If it starts to get old, I simply melt it and dump it into soap, and start over. I love cocoa butter in this and before winter put emu oil in it also, which is wonderful for chapped lips.

Oh and don't add your flavoring oil until you are under it's flash point, so microwave to melt but don't heat it up above the flash point of whatever you are using to flavor/scent it.

I use the little pots from bayousome.com I put one into the tiny ziplocks at wallmart, that fit a business card. Vicki

3. Amanda Lee

Amanda Lee Member

Wow Vicki!! Thank you for the recipe!!! I have everything but beeswax and Shea and tubs/jars.

I am planning on ordering the tubs this week and then I will get the beeswax. So I will give your recipe a try.

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

It's not my recipe, it is stolen long ago :) I just used it and tweaked it. Vicki