Does anyone make lip balm?

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by Amanda Lee, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Amanda Lee

Amanda Lee Member

I am thinking about also making lip balm too. I found a recipe on th National Honey Board website. It sounds super easily to make.

12oz beeswax
    2Tb Honey and apricot kernel oil -sorry I don't remember the amount.
    melt in double boiler or microwave, pour into pot/jar/tube.

If you make lip balm to sale...

What is the price ranges?
    How hard is lip balm to make?
    Do flavored lips balms sale better than a non or natural lip balm?
    Or do you have a better recipe?

My husband can take a 1 x 8 pine lumber and make me a lip balm tub holder. No need of me spending $15 for one.

I saw a weekly special on lip balm tubes $12 for 100 tubes. I am constantly putting on chapstick, so I thought I would try it.
    Any suggestions or advice will be great!
    Thanks Amanda Lee

2. Kalne

Kalne New Member

That recipe seems pretty high in beeswax. I think there's one or more listed on the recipes thread.

I sell mine for $2.50

I actually enjoy making it. I don't sell a ton but enough to make it worth my time. I don't use a holder of any sort, just rubber band the tubes together. I like to keep it simple and only offer plain and peppermint. :)

3. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

I sell a ton of it!! but my prices are too low on it. I need to bump them up. I've had them priced $ 1.75 the past year.

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I use the little pots on bayousome.com, my recipe is pretty straight forward, they all are, cocoa butter, (whatever oil I am using for lotion, apricot kernel, sweet amond, jajoba, avacado it's all about label appeal, beeswax, stevia for sweeting and honey or vanilla for the 'natural' appeal. I simply print out business card labels, like I do for my soap, but them in the small ziplock in the craft section from wallmart and pop in a lip balm pot. $3. I don't do "flavors" anymore, and I don't do regular chap stick type lip balms because I hate labeling them and pouring them :)

I just did lip blams in pots with a group of MHMR adults for their chirstmas bags, they could easily melt and then pour the products into the little pots, I am all about easy :) vicki

5. Amanda Lee

Amanda Lee Member

I have read the lip balm recipe in the recipe section.

I have been doing a lot of reading on lip balms. It seems recipes with castor, avocado, coco butter, olive, jojoba are better than just beeswax, honey and 1 oil.

I have on hand avocado, grape seed, apricot kernel, castor, sunflower, olive, coconut, safflower oils. No jojoba or cocobutter.

I have lard too! but I don't think I will find a recipe that will use it :rofl

I will have to order some beeswax and play around with a couple of recipes.
    Thanks for all the replies ... Amanda Lee

6. NubianSoaps.com

I would think that Castor Oil would have the same yuck factor as lard :) Vicki

7. Amanda Lee

Amanda Lee Member

Vickie, I read on the dish forum that Castor Oil gave a slick finish to the lip balm. That is were I read about useing Castor Oil in a lip balm recipe.
    Thanks

8. NubianSoaps.com

Oh I use Castor in lots of things, but nor in my lip balm because of the whole Castor Oil of old, I wouldn't want it near my mouth. I just don't think it has good label appeal for a lip product. With so many of my customers and buyers being older like me, and castor oil used to be something we had to take during cold and flu season...ick, you might want to do some product testing to see if others would have a revulsion to it like I would. Vicki

9. Kalne

Kalne New Member

I use castor and used to think the same thing, yuck! But I think it does add a nice glide and from my research I find it is good for your skin so I educate my customers about why it's in there.

10. Madfarmer

Madfarmer New Member

Ypu're lucky you only had to take castor oil! My grandmother used to smear our chests with coal oil & lard!

Tom

11. I use castor oil in my lip balm and I've never once had someone question it.
    Becky

12. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

I always thought that was Cod liver oil people took? I was born too late and missed all that (darn : )

13. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

I was wondering about the Castor also... did some reading in my handy dandy soap books.. and found this in 'Soap Naturally'.. which also has a website.. www.soapnaturally.com

In the Lip Balm section... (quote from book)
    "Castor oil is a major component of lipsticks and can be added to lip balm to make them 'shinier', in a ratio between 20% and 50% of the liquid oils. Remember, however, that castor oil has a rather unpleasant taste."

I personally don't put it in my lip balms.. but there's always a first time!!

14. Kalne

Kalne New Member

50% of liquid oils sounds high. Mine is just a small amount, but I'm too lazy to get my recipe box out and see. LOL I don't notice any taste in my lip balm really. Good or bad.

15. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

I think my liquid oils in my recipe is about 30-40% without looking at the recipe. I do use castor and really like it, but it is 1/16 of my liquid oils, it still makes a big difference!

I still don't get how to get that honey in there without it seperating!

16. Amanda Lee

Amanda Lee Member

I haven't ever made any lip balm, so I don't know what even sounds like a good recipe. I am still researching the recipes and trying to decide "IF" and "when" I want to make lip balm to sale with my soaps.
    Thanks for all the replies, Amanda Lee

17. NubianSoaps.com

Amanda, I also recommend folks to get a melt and pour lip balm, get pots or the tubes and flavor oil. Then just make them up, you know the cost striaght up and you can see if they sell for you. Then if they sell well, make your own with the same ingredients. This way you haven't purchased pounds of butters or oils for the lip balm that you may not use up later if you decide you don't want to make lip balms. Vicki

18. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Yep I second that one!!

19. I went the melt and pour route myself this year.
    It contains Castor Oil (last on the list) and I haven't seen anyone question it either...then again, I can get away with selling Lard bars as well.
    So far, the lip balms have not screamed that they are a good seller for me...I'm going to be able to sell off what I need to make back what I put into it, but I don't know if I'll make them again.

20. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

For one stop shopping www.thesage.com has lip tubes or pots, lip balm bases, and flavorings.