Doelings versus bucklings

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by homeacremom, Mar 5, 2008.

1. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Is it common for doe kids to drink less milk than bucklings?

2. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Good question ! With my twin bottle kids ( buckling and a doeling ) the doeling drinks less milk and i was wondering this same thing. She also is just not as aggressive about taking the bottle either and sometimes just sniffs it for a while first. Rowdy ( the buckling ) sure does suck is milk down and latches on right away ! I'm wondering what the answer to this from the others will be.

3. coso

coso Guest

Yes it is common. That's why some breeders sort there buck kids from doe kids when feeding on a lamb bar. Usually it's your little bucks that are the pigs.

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I also won't let bucklings tank up on colostrum, some will nearly drain their 16 ounce bottle in one setting, there isnt' any need for anything but a nice round tummy. Although doelings here do drink less intially, they are smarter, get on the lambar faster...I hate having to raise out bucklings for folks to fly at 3 weeks or to pick up late :) And I love buying bucklings who are 4 and 5 weeks old, all the stupid is gone :) Vicki

5. Yes. That is why does eat first here to get their fill:)

6. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

Interesting. We just had triplet bucks today...they are EATING MACHINES. I had to cut one off...thought he'd float away.
    I thought it seemed like more eating than our doe kids. Good to know I'm not imagining it.

7. Aja-Sammati

Aja-Sammati Active Member

Only until they go into rut!! :lol

8. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Yes, they eat more and I agree they are stupid. Just not as swift to catch on as doelings.

9. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Totally agree. The does catch on quicker but drink less, the bucks are pigs! Although I do have the odd buck that will catch on quickly.