Doeling with staph

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Liberty Alpines, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Liberty Alpines

Liberty Alpines New Member

:help2 I have a little doeling who will be two weeks old on Saturday. Over the past several days I have noticed that she had developed a terrible looking rash type thing on her bottom. It is almost like a scrape, even bloody at times. It is in several places, particularly farther up on her tail on the skin. Her twin brother has it also, but not as bad. These babies are bottle-fed, and they are the only kids that have it, and all of the others are being dam-raised. I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not. Thanks all! Kristin

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Re: My Poor Little Doeling's Bottom

Did they get good colostrum?
    Why are you bottleing them?

If their dam does not have good immunity (is she young) to soremouth, or staph or even poison ivy or posion oak, kids drinking milk (are you pasteurising it) will come down with stuff like this on their butts and mouths and in the inside of their ears.

Or it's fireants? :)

Spray with chlorhexiderm, redo their bo-se, sit down in their pen and when you get up are your jeans damp, clean out the bedding and get them up out of the damp dirt. I use shavings in the kid barns until way passed weaning. Also give them a place to dust like hens...mine have a dirt hole that is super sandy they play and lay in, I add DE to it, just like with the hens. Keeping them dry and dusty of course, but damp is really bad with goats. vicki

My husband doesn't drink my milk because it breaks him out all over in posion ivy, he is hyper sensitive to posion ivy and my girls eat it all the time. Now made into cheese or ice cream it mysteriously doesn't bother him :) Vicki

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Re: My Poor Little Doeling's Bottom

you have to upload your pictures to photobucket.com or something and then copy and paste the img url here.

4. Liberty Alpines

Hmmm, I wonder. Well, anyway, here is the pic. Let me know if you think anything different. Thanks! Kristin

5. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Re: My Poor Little Doeling's Bottom - Pic added

I've seen this on kids. I think it's probably staph. I treat it by keeping it cleaned off using chlorhexadine. Kathie

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep think you need to do just what Vicki said above looks like staph

7. Sharpgoat

Sharpgoat New Member

Yes cleaning with chlorhexadine and then I put some Wonder dust wound powder it helps dry it up faster.
    I had a pen of 14 Boer kids with the same thing.
    I had a few does that had crusty noses and when they would smell for there kids they would spread it.
    Fran

8. Liberty Alpines

Ok, so they have staph. And the only way I need to treat is keep putting chlorhexadine on it several times a day? Will it go away in a week or so? These kids' dam had staph when they were born, but we get rid of her soon after that. The doeling actually was never licked by her or ate from her. The buckling was, but his is actually not half as bad as hers! Funny. So as it spreads to the rest of my babies I can treat them the same way too? Also, when the staph babies eat from their dams will they give them a case of staph mastitis? What are the first signs of a doe coming down with staph mastitis? Sorry these are newbie questions, I just had a bad case of staph mastitis once and want to be careful. I appreciate all of your advice. Any more you have would be appreciated! Thanks all, this forum is great! Kristin :)

9. NubianSoaps.com

It's environmental it's everywhere. It's not catchy in that they get it from dam to them, it's catchy in that it's on your hands when you milk, on the kids nipples, in the kids bedding. The sun destroys staph. So lots of fresh air, no laying around in bedding etc...

When kids are born here they go into a 4x4 hog panel pen I put a tarp down on the concrete, put some cat litter down and then about a foot of shavings, litters of kids go in them up to 6, the kids are sold out of there and leave quickly to their new homes, I add more pens as more kids are born. If I don't change this completely out in 7 days, the bottom shavings through the tarp and my cement will be completely soaked with pee. And this is even though when on the bottle the first 2 or 3 days before mini lambars the kids drink bottles from me holding them over on my milkstand. They then are let down to run around and pee and poop on the cement. Still that much urine in these pens. So you can imagine in their pen how saturated with urine the barn stalls are! This warm humidity under the bedding in barns breeds staph. Why cleaning baby pens and trapping them out of the stalls during nice weather, and having raised platforms out in the grass for them to lay on up out of the wetgrass and ground keeps staph at bay. Vicki

10. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

I've had a few kids with this over the years. Good ideas everyone... I'll keep that in mind next time I get it (hopefully NOT tho!).

But, what I treated mine with, and it worked great, I just put diaper rash cream/ointment. If I didn't have that, I'd use vasaline or the like. It cleared up within a few days. One doeling got it really bad and she got a little swollen, and had lots of sores. Just one day it showed up.

11. NubianSoaps.com

But, what I treated mine with, and it worked great, I just put diaper rash cream/ointment. If I didn't have that, I'd use vasaline or the like. It cleared up within a few days. One doeling got it really bad and she got a little swollen, and had lots of sores. Just one day it showed up.

I am from Southern California, suburb of San Diego, El Cajon. You don't have the humidity that we deal with here. If I put this on anything here it would grow staph under the ointmnt :) Although my mom and sis complain about the humidity, when my daughter came back from a weeks vacation there just two weeks ago, she had nose bleeds every single day from the dryness! Vicki

12. Odeon

Odeon New Member

I use the zinc oxider (diaper rash cream) as well, but we don't have the humidity in Idaho that Vicki does in Texas. THANK GOODNESS!!!! :rofl

13. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I've had this before, well, not me but the goats.. and have used an herbal wash on it.. just some warm water a few drops of Tea Tree, and some other stuff that's antiseptic and healing with a drop of Dawn dishwashing to keep it dispersed in the water. No ointment involved, it healed quick and the girls actually seemed to like me doing it, although it was about the third day that that happened. :) I would just rinse out a wash cloth in the mix and apply it to their sore fannys. no rubbing, unless I had to get some gook off.