Doeling with really small teats - hermie?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by goatkid, Nov 26, 2008.

1. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I posted last week about Cocoa, the almost 7 month old La Mancha X doeling who is precocious on one side. I got her on the milk stand to begin treatment and her teats are really small. I'm afraid to try and infuse her because she has the smallest teats of any doeling I have. Her twin, Dior has normal sized teats and even little 4 1/2 month old Cherry Blossom has bigger teats. I've seen Dior cycle, but have never noticed Cocoa in heat. Could this doe really be a hermie and still be precocious? I'm starting to consider culling this goat. Her dam has normal teats, though she does have a half sister out of the same sire with smallish teats who freshened this year. Kathie

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

What does her vulva look like? Does a tiny penis/round ball looking thing pop out when you press on the tip?

Tiny teats are a good indication.

Sara

3. Caprine Beings

Caprine Beings New Member

4. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Really best to check the vulva, than to go on teat size.
    Oh,me...I've got several doelings that have small teats-(sure glad I have a milking machine for when they freshen) and they've blood tested preg. One was an AI, so I KNOW she's got the correct parts to be all female.
    I've also have an Obie with really small orfices and teats and she's a second freshener...but a PITA to milk by hand and/or try to put anything in the orfice.
    Kaye

5. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I checked her vulva. It looks the same as the other doelings. I've seen a hermie with the little penis in the vulva. My friend had one and showed several of us so we would know what it looks like. I'm just remembering a beautiful doeling I had several years ago (so nice she went best jr. doe in show). Her vulva and teats looked totally normal, but after two years of not settling after spending months with a buck I figured she had to be a hermie or freemartin and sold her as a weed eater/pet. Maybe she'll just be a small teated doe. Kathie

6. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Well, I guess it's official. This goat is going on the meat truck Tuesday. I still haven't seen any sign of her cycling or being bred. She was in with a cleanup buck. Today, I took her over to my friend's who has AI equipment. Her vulva is so small, she couldn't get the speculum in much at all and it appears she doesn't have a uterus. What looked fairly normal from the outside didn't once you tried to get in. My friend also thought her teats are way to small for even a doe with small teats. It's a shame because she's a pretty little goat. I'm just glad her sister is even nicer and did cycle and stand for the buck. Kathie

7. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

That's too bad. What a disappointment.

8. Leo

Leo New Member

That is a shame. But at least you know.

Tammy, those are good pics., it's amazing how tiny those teats are!
    Megan

9. Caprine Beings

Caprine Beings New Member

Sorry your doe turned out to be a freemartin Kathie. Sometimes nature just throws in those little oddities.

Thanks Megan, Lindsey and I decided after fair last year to get good pics and info for her site. She is going to do a poster on it for fair this year so others can get the info too. Tammy

10. Truly

Truly New Member

Total bummer Kathie. Glad you found out now.

11. KingsCoGoatGuy

KingsCoGoatGuy New Member

What a shame at least you have other animals to replace her with. I feel for you. ;) Last year almost this time my only doeling from 2007 was found dead in my barn. Apon opening her up the vets found she had a reaction to something in her lungs, really set me back a year of breeding until I found a replacement for her... Again I am sorry to hear about her. :)

12. D Bar J Acres

D Bar J Acres New Member

She sounds exactly like a Nigie doe I bought 2 years ago. Nice, pretty doe and her dam was a MCH. She was almost two (held over as she was one of quints) and breeder told me she cycled, but just didn't catcher her in standing heat, so I paid the $400 for her and brought her home. I had a gut feeling the whole time about this doe. two months later and no heat and seeing the itty bitty teats, had the vet check her and same thing, no girl parts, but no boy parts either. What a battle with the seller. I finally got a FF of not equal quality, but better than waiting a whole nother year for a kid. .