Doeling with problem

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by goatmom, Dec 1, 2007.

1. goatmom

goatmom New Member

Hi - we have a doeling - 6 mo old -after I fed this morn went back to do water and thought there was a diarrhea prob but when I went in discovered she is spitting up cud and slinging it out of her mouth - the doeling seems fine otherwise - ate well this morn, grain and hay -have called all the vets I know and nobody in the office today - any ideas? Could this be obstruction? I offered her baking soda -didn't take -there is another doeling in the pen with her - no symptoms -This is not a small amount of cud - it was enough around the pen that I really thought it was poop -I've looked at several hunks and it has whole grains in it from the grain - Help!! tia -Ginger

2. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

Just watch her for a little while. Sometimes they can get choked when they eat and will throw up like this, but if it continues, you need to treat her for entero.

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

It's nearly always just choke, but get your hand in there an make sure you can't feel anything like a stick etc...

Anything poisionous, plants, baits etc, around? Vicki

4. goatmom

goatmom New Member

Thank you for your replies--
    Update - I'm still watching her closely but I hoping whatever it was has passed -the cud slinging went on for over 3 hours -I never knew one little doe could possibly have that much cud -and smell that obnoxious!

I took her some warm water about noon and she drank lots and then did take the baking soda -gobbled it up..then I thought she was worse because she laid down and kept sleeping -didn't jump up everytime I went in the pen to check on her -seemed depressed- then about an hour ago she got up and seemed her old self, tail wagging and scrounging the ground for hay -gave them a little grass hay-she ate and now is laying happily chewing cud normally.

If she got ahold of something it either blew into the pen or was inside the hay flake this morn -it's always possible for her to get more than her share of grain because I feed the 2 doe kids in a trough but they both gobble so I wouldn't think it would be significantly more. I did also notice that her urine looks darker than normal. I did call another vet (4th one to try) and he was supposed to call me back and never did so I'm glad she's on the mend.

I've spent the day running back and forth from her pen to the computer reading every thing I could find on entero. Is the entero anti-toxin a vet script or something I should keep on hand even if I do scheduled cdt's? I can see I would really be in a mess today if I HAD to have a vet!!! I also learned I shouldn't keep my goat digital thermometer out in the barn where the battery stops working and becomes corroded because now my good human kid thermometer has been you know where.

5. goatmom

goatmom New Member

Another question - I thought I should give the little doe some Fast-track gel tonight -ususally put the powdered on their grain but going to withhold grain this evening-just noticed my tube expired 02/07 -anyone know is it still effective? thanks

6. NubianSoaps.com

It's not going to hurt either way, and likely not help much :) We know that all that kind of stuff isn't really active anyway, and it isn't helping her rumen just her intestines. So use it up. Think about keeping kefir going for times like this, plus it's really good for you also! Follow the directions on fast track it can be overdosed. vicki

7. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

"Think about keeping kefir going for times like this..."

How much Kefir would you give a goat?

8. NubianSoaps.com

I use about a tablespoon per kid per day in the lambar and have syringed down 2 ounces to an adult. I keep one jar of grocery store milk kefir in the fridge that about once a week I just give to the dogs this time of year with no babies, but keeps it going enough to grow well and have it on hand...and raw milk, right now frozen for me. Vicki