Dairy Goat Info Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a doeling born this morning missing a segment of her front leg (between knee and shoulder) but otherwise healthy. I have 30+ yrs of experience with dairy goats and have never seen anything like this. She is nursing with help and trying to get around.
My question is has anyone ever dealt with this? It was suggested I look into a prosthetic leg, but everything I see on internet is for amputees, not short legs. Any help would be appreciated. BTW she is 75%ND 25% mini nubian so she is tiny.
Working animal Dog breed Grass Fawn Terrestrial animal

·
Registered
4 Posts
In fifteen years, I have never seen a deformity like that as well. I'm of the sort, that if she's ambling around fine then no need to amputate, with extra body parts(we have a dog with extra toes, that lack a bone) our vet said that it could catch or get injured easier due to the deformity(our dogs thumbs were floppy), we opted not to amputate, but it is different from your goat.

Also, this forum is deader than the Walking Dead, you might get more responses from the goat spot forum

·
Registered
31 Posts
As for the leg, two things I automatically assume -- inbredness or mineral deficiency. I had a baby born without bones in one of his legs. He died right away at birth. It was a very tragic and traumatic event as both babies were severely deformed in many ways.

I looked over my records and made the connection that every time I bred my doe, 10% inbred, to a specific buck, who was also 10% inbred, all the babies from that birth died within a couple days of birth even though the doe and buck were not themselves related to each other in any way. Whenever she was bred to a buck that had a lower inbred percentage, the babies lived and were healthy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts