Doeling with diarreah

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by goatkid, Dec 1, 2007.

1. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Colette (Nubian) is almost 9 months old and was bred on Nov. 13. For the past two days, she has had runny diarreah. Yesterday, I just made sure the goats in that pen had fresh soda. Today, I've treated her with Probios. She has been eating her hay and grain with the other goats. It's been cold, so none of them has been playing much, but she is acting much the same as the rest of her penmates. The goats are fed alfalfa hay and goat developer pellets (with coccidiostat) with a handful of COB, BOSS and a scoop of alfalfa pellets mixed in. No dietary changes. The one thing I did do was to clean out the goat house on Thursday and dug up some old, wet hay and straw in the process, which I removed. Colette was very curious and may have nibbled some of that when I was working. I also put down pine shavings covered with clean straw and the goats always have to nibble on that.
    What I am wondering is if I should be giving her something more than the Probios at this point. I always am prudent with giving meds to bred does, especially early bred ones. I don't want to harm the fetus, but at the same time, I don't want thave this nice doeling go downhill. The diarreah meds I have on hand are liquid sulfa from the vet, Biosol, pig pump, Kaolin Pectin for livestock and Diarsanyl.

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Can you do a fecal. If you don't want to use prevention meds, than keep her hydrated, probiotics, b vitamins, bo-se, decrease the grain and take a fecal in on Monday or Tuesday. This way you will know if it's cocci, worms or? Watch her temp, up and something bacterial is going on. Vicki

3. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

When was the last time she was wormed? and what did you use?

4. goatkid

goatkid New Member

She was last wormed in September. I used Valbazen. We haven't had any worm problems here, so far. All the fecals I've taken to the vet have shown no presence of worms on either the kids or adults. I'll take a fecal either to my vet or to my friend who knows how to do them early next week as Vicki suggested. With the cold weather we are having here, I'm not sure if there would be any worm eggs at this time, but it never hurts to check for them or cocci.

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

It's actually the opposite up north. Our huge problems with bloodsucking (warm weather worms) in the late spring and summer are really bad. But up north your cold weather worms live perfectly happy in your warm bedding of the barns, where here it is to hot for much cold weather worm problems!!! Yeah! So for us, worms especially with pregnancy hormones are pretty nill to none this time of year, just as you all had better start being diligent with fecal, because you won't see anemia you will see loss of condition. Vicki

6. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Re: Doeling with diarreah Update

I think Colette's problem must have been caused by her nibbling on the old hay I was digging out of the goat house. Sunday, when I went into the goat yard to scoop up some of her poo to take in for a fecal, there was no runny poo in the yard or goat house. That Probios I gave must have cleared her right up. Again, today, her backside is clean as well as the pen. Sometimes when goats eat something icky, they just have to clean out their systems. I do intend to take a fecal sample from that pen as well as my main pen when I visit my friend who does them.