doeling sucking again - put mom back in milk line?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Rose, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Rose

Rose New Member

We have a seven month old LaMancha doeling who has started sucking on her mom again. :/ This doe is eight years old. We got her as one of the quirky, but healthy, culls from a commercial dairy that started our herd. She self sucks on occasion, also.

Today, we penned mom away from her offspring at noon, and at the evening milking, I got a pint from one half. The other half of her udder is non productive, which is why we had dried her off early.

So, it's decision time. We will pen the babies away from mom again, but do we put mom back in the milk line? We could use that milk for the bottle bucklings and have more for cheesemaking.

Or, dry her off again?

Your thoughts would be most appreciated.

2. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Well if its working again and you need it then put her back ...is she rebred yet? I separate my babies from their moms for a long time as this has happened to me before also when they havent been away long enough..Good luck

3. Rose

Rose New Member

Not rebred. We were waiting till October / November for that.

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I would put her back in the milk line if you need the milk. She would be earning some of her keep at least

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

With one half already non productive I would keep her in milk until she is very heavy bred especially at 8. Older does like this who don't stay productive have alot more problems getting bred and keeping mastitis free. vicki