Doeling not gaining

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by goatkid, Jan 15, 2008.

1. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Most of my 07 doelings are growing right on schedule. Windsong, however, is lagging behind. She was 78 lb when I put her in with the buckling and should be a month bred now. She is looking smaller than the others so I weigh taped her again the other day and she hasn't gained. She is a Nubian born the end of April. Her gums are nice and dark pink and she's eating well. She was wormed in Sept. I did move her in the big pen when I put the buckling in with the girls to be sure they are all bred. Do you think this is all too much competition for her? Her dam was on the smallish side as well, but as a single kid, I expected more growth on her.

2. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

How about coccidia treatment . You bred her and moved her to a new pen all of which can be stressfull and bring on an outbreak. Is she getting her share of food and grain . Are you feeding enough forage with good amounts of calcium like pellets or hay ? I would also run fecals not just look at her gums right now . bvit and bo-se to boost immune system . I would also consider moving a few of the younger ones to there own pen or at least pulling her to eat seperate.

Patty

3. ellie

ellie New Member

There is a surge of hormones that occur with a pregnancy that causes a growth spurt. Maybe she didn't settle and missed that growth boost the others are experiencing.

Ellie

4. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

You are in a cold area like me. I have begun to wonder if that is affecting some growth on my kids. They all were over average growers and had no problems reaching breeding weight, but have not grown much since. I had this happen last year also..Having free choice alfalfa pellets along with hay seems to help the most. I imagine it burns a lot of calories staying warm in 0 degree weather. This is just a theory for me at this point. Definetly make sure you have covered all your bases with cocci, worming, minerals ect.

5. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

Don't move her by herself. Good healthy competition will cause a goat to gooble up more but do make sure she is not getting edged out by bigger kids. How about a little calf manna or nutra-boost?

It is imperative to make sure she has been treated for parasites.

6. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I wouldn't put her by herself. What I was onsidering was moving her back to the kid pen until the next batch of babies arrive. There are three doelings in there now. The goats in both pens get alfalfa hay. They also get alfalfa pellets, but I'm not set up to feed them free choice. I'd love one of those calf creep feeders for that. They also are fed grain, to which I add the alfalfa pellets.

7. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

I suspect that she is the bottom goat on the totem pole. Can you resuffle them and pen her with a few of the less aggressive eaters and pushers and shovers and see if she gains? I have reshuffled poor gainers in the past and within a short period of time, they bloom. It is often the contant harrassment of penmates that brings them down. If she were a little herd queen she would grow :D