Doeling limping

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Terri-Lynn, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Terri-Lynn

Terri-Lynn New Member

We had some bad weather for the last few days so my 2 girls have been staying in. I found my young doeling (10 months) laying beside an overturned water bucket, soaked and cold and when she got up she was limping. I don't know if the other one knocked her or what happened. I suspect there was an arguement of some sort, and she's half the size of the other. She's still limping today and doesn't put weight on it when she is eating. The hoof looks ok and I don't see any swelling is there anything else I should check?
    I am keeping a close eye on them, the older one who is bred seems grumpy lately with her little friend and more territorial over the hay racks etc. Is this hormonal or is she just getting nasty? she's not due till the end of May.
    thanks Terri

2. Chaty

Chaty New Member

I have 1 that is getting close and the closer she gets the worse she gets ...yep the hormones do strange things..also how big is she ...if it continues I would give her a bit of banamine to ease the pain some...not to much. Banamine is 1cc per 100 lbs I believe, so depending on her size you would need to down the dosage.

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

The leg should be ok they are kinda whimps when they get hurt and tend to limp a great deal. Watch it and if swelling then running cold water over the area helps with that. Check real good to make sure it isn't broken. Maybe a splint using some pipe insulation and vet wrap may be in order. If the other doe is getting too mean then she needs to be moved if possible

4. Terri-Lynn

Terri-Lynn New Member

OK Thanks. She seems to be a little more active on it as the day goes on. I can separate them inside at night, they seem fne outside. They do get upset though when they are apart since it's just the two of them, I can't separate them where they can still see each other. But so be it.