Doeling grinding teeth

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by stacy adams, Jul 12, 2008.

1. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

My dear Lici (almost 5 months old) is grinding her teeth. Since last night, I noticed it while I was milking, she would just look at me and grind her teeth (as bad as fingernails on a blackboard!) She took her bottle, nibbled hay, drank then went out to pasture with the herd. This morning, she was doing it a lot more often. She drank her bottle, nibbled some hay, some grass, rolled an alfalfa pellet around in her mouth then spit it out, wouldn't eat any oats, you can tell somethings a bit off but, that's about it. gave her a shot of Banamine and realized that I hadn't yet taken her temp.. the thermometer said 106.. :shocked so I shook it down and did it again (she didn't like that!) and it was the same.. we had an appointment in town and just got back.. will be running out and re-taking that temp.. just wanted to get this out there in case anyone had any ideas... ?

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

there is an infection somewhere for that high a temp would start on antibiotics myself

3. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

She could very well have a case of Pneumonia coming on in this heat! Hit her with some Naxcel.

4. Sharpgoat

Sharpgoat New Member

I would go for the Naxcel and do a fecal for coccida and worms and worm as well.
    The whole kitchen sink :biggrin
    Fran

5. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I just never thought of pneumonia in the summer.. :/
    Ok, I took her temp and a fellow doeling's and both were 103. I just don't know if the Banamine has lowered her temp there or not. Took my three doelings out to browse, and while Lici just picked at things at first, they found a young oak and promptly gobbled it up.
    Naxel, great.. the vet is closed for the day, but I can call him in, in the morning.. she's about 68lbs, how much naxel? and I've tried to get poop from her for a fecal, but nooo.. yea, Twister poops every 15 minutes :really but not the one who's rear I'm watching! :sigh

6. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

I would think that 1cc (l x a day) for 3-4 days would be plenty. Dosage is 1cc per 100# if I recall correctly.

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

If the banamine brought it down I wouldn't start antibiotics without some sort of symptoms. I tell you what I had to redo the soaphouse yard today...got to start calling it something esle now that Jace and joni are moving into it....and I came in and had to sit in the AC. I instantly felt awful, I think I had a touch of heat stroke, it's like a desert outthere today!

If you do move to naxcel 1cc per 50 pounds and if the fever is back than twice a day that first day or two, then once a day...total of 5 days. There are alot of different dosages for naxcel though, Janie's works for her. I consider Naxcel to be a big gun (well a big safe gun :) and when I do pull it out its needed hence the dosages.

Give her a really good looksee....have you trimmed feet yet? I know I was remiss in that on my kids, they didn't get their first one until 12 weeks old and getting their last shots! With the grinding the teeth it's usually gut in kids so how about some baking soda in the nex bottle....now the fever that is super high and not having obvious other symptoms, give her a really good look over. Her navel is dry, her disbudding job is good, her ears don't have any smell? Vicki

8. Sharpgoat

Sharpgoat New Member

If I need to get a fecal from a goat that is not going often I use a glycerin suppository it dose the trick.
    Fran

9. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

No, :blush I haven't trimmed her feet yet, her navel is dry & feels fine, her budds from disbudding fell of a long time ago and feel/look great... her ears.. they don't smell, I swabbed them with some tissue and while a tad bit "dusty" weren't bad... though on that note, my DH said that she's shaking her head as though her ears are bothering her.
    I put a pinch of BS in her bottle, along with some probios but she only drank maybe 1/2 of it.
    She did poop :woohoo and while her cocci count is elevated, I've seen worse. I also found one strongyloid egg.
    Will redo her temp in the am...

BTW.. why would untrimmed feet cause a fever??

We will be going to Nationals in a few days... and here my kid gets sick.. go figure! :really

10. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Re: Doeling grinding teeth - Update

This morning she was eating the pellets and would on occasion do a quick grind with her teeth. I didn't give another round of Banamine last night because I couldn't get back on the pc and I didn't know if I should do that twice a day.. Her temp is just over 104, though she seems much better (than yesterday) I haven't had a call back from the vet yet.. I have Pen-G and Bio-Mycin 200 in the fridge.. should I start her on something (either/or) until I can get some Naxcel? or just start her on one of those & stay with it? Should I start her at all?
    Oh, and she did finish off the rest of that bottle this morning.

11. NubianSoaps.com

Put some peroxide down her ears and see if they fizz or bring up a smell. Perhap she has an ear ache, hurts to chew?

If her hooves are overgrown she could have an abscess between her toes or a sticker or stone, or rot.

If you smell ick from her ears perhaps use the pennicillin as ear drops. I wouldn't start something systemic then miss the days while you are gone at nationals. vicki

12. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Put some peroxide down her ears and see if they fizz or bring up a smell. Perhap she has an ear ache, hurts to chew?

She's going to love me for that... :nooo

If her hooves are overgrown she could have an abscess between her toes or a sticker or stone, or rot.

Ahhh.. so I trimmed, which didn't make her any happier either.. nothing there.

I wouldn't start something systemic then miss the days while you are gone at nationals.

Yea, I was thinking this too.. even though the babysitter is an RN, I'm leary of people doing stuff to my goats while I'm gone.

We're temporarily moving bottles to an afternoon feeding schedule and she sucked hers right down. I'm taking that as a good sign. Now to go get dirty with some peroxide.. :sigh Thanks Vicki!!!

13. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I just peroxided her ears and let me tell you, she was not happy about that :nooo No bubbles, no fizz and no smell...
    :sigh

14. NubianSoaps.com

Well you get to wait and watch then :) I think she was just over heated. Vicki

15. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Her temp this morning is 104.2 .. still grinding, a bit, but mostly wanting a bottle.. it is VERY toasty here, and humid. It makes for being outside a joy :nooo

I will do the watch and wait.. my vet has been notified JIC the sitter feels compelled to bring her in.. I'm thinking she should take two kids in and leave them there (if need be) until we get back on Sat.

I'm excited and torn about going all at the same time :/

16. NubianSoaps.com

Say Hi to Sara and Kaye for me :) Vicki

17. Sondra

Sondra New Member

YOU HAVE FUN Steph and a safe trip.