Doeling - DOA what happened?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by stacy adams, Feb 17, 2008.

1. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

My DH was down at the barn when he noticed a FF kiding, when the kids head presented and then stopped,he ran to the house to get me. It took me a minute to figure out that the legs I was feeling weren't hers, so I pushed them back, and on her next contraction, helped pull the doeling out. She was limp & unresponsive, I even did the swinging thing, which almost made me pass out, but to no avail. The buckling came out fine on his own :sigh Was it something I did? Should I have spent the extra time to fish out her legs? Even gently pulling, did I (oh Lord) break her neck? I have delivered kids head first before with no problem, but with my DH telling me that I broke her neck is making me second guess my self.. :down

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

It rarely hurts the kid pulling by the head, it can make them walk funny for awhile. But you can rip a cervix pulling by the head, and if you were here talking to me I would show you with a cool visual.....put your hands over your head like you are diving, see the space your shoulders make? Now put your hands down by your side, now see how much larger and blunt this makes your shoulders?

She could have been pushing awhile and the kid strangled, the doe could have laid down on the head and smothered the kid, the neck broke from the dam laying down on it....anything. Sorry this happened. Vicki

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OH Stacy am so sorry!! had one last year that I had a terrible time getting out and was dead also really makes you sick and start second guessing yourself. But have had the same thing happen before and since with same presentation and everything was fine so don't think it was any thing I did. It is just one of those things that happens now and then. Take care and don't blame yourself.

4. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Oh Stacy I'm so sorry you lost the little doeling : (

5. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Sorry you lost the doeling. It may well not have been anything you did. The cord could have been crimped or broken or the things Vicki mentioned. I was actually amazed (so was my vet) when I took a yearling in for a C section after she presented with a large stuck buckling head first. Though it is a 30 mile drive to the clinic and the doe was in the back of my car with the kid's head protruding, he was alive and well when delivered. You jjust never know with these things.
    Kathie

6. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

So sorry you lost your little doe.

7. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Thanks everyone.. and thanks Vicki for the visual! I never thought of that before, and I'm a swimmer..! Just goes to show, you learn something new every day ;)
    I'm sorry I lost the doeling too, but I think it's harder when they're here for a while and then go.. like, I can sell babies pretty easily, but the older gals, well, I just cry all day. :sigh

8. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

Sorry about your tough kidding. :(
    I recently saw a VERY similar kidding at a friend's. Same result.
    It was the first time I had seen a really tough delivery like that and first time I had seen a kid come out dead.
    I am guessing this is not terribly uncommon, but still a hard experience. But like you said - better - in a weird way - before you bond at all with the goat. Sigh. I am finding out just how tough I am not.

9. pettigrewfarms

pettigrewfarms New Member

Sorry for your loss
    Deana

10. donna

donna Member

Stacey, I am so sorry...

11. donna

donna Member

Ooops, I spelled your name wrong. Sorry.