Doeling born 4/08 will not eat grain

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by haeema, Oct 5, 2008.

1. haeema

haeema New Member

This is a new one to me. I have a doeling born 4/08 and she has :nooo**NEVER** :nooo eaten any sort of grain or pellet.

I have tried putting them in her mouth and holding it shut so she can't shoot them back out at me. She will chew them and give me the same dirty look :mad I used to get from my children when they had to take bad tasting medicine. This doeling grazes and eats hay all day long. She is about 10# smaller than the goat just bigger than her....She is also about a month younger than that next doe. I have given her B-Complex and once a month I put a pinch of copper sulfate in her mouth so she doesn't have copper deficiency.

What now?

2. goatkid

goatkid New Member

You didn't say how much she weighs, so I can't tell from your post if she's developing normally. Since it's ideal for kids to gain at least 10 pounds a month, her being that much smaller than a kid a month older doesn't seem cause for worry. I've never had a six month old doe who wouldn't eat at least some grain, but if she's eating her hay and browse and is loking and acting healthy, I wouldn't be too worried. I wouldn't try and force her to eat grain if it only upsets her. Sometimes, animals know better than we do what they need in their diets. Kathie

3. haeema

haeema New Member

Off the top of my head, I think she weighs about 42#. She looks a little thin to me but then I am a fat person who tries to fatten up the skinny ones....not too much though, just a healthy look. I have tried moleases, cut pears, carrots, apples....she won't touch it. She weaned herself from the bottle at 3 months. I like to give my "keepers" bottles for 5 months.

4. Madeleine M.

Madeleine M. New Member

I'm not sure what breed she is, but last night, we weighed our kids that were born the same week as your doe. The Nubians were right at 75 lbs.

Our Nigerians were closer to your doe's weight.

5. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

I have an Alpine doeling born the last week in March and she ways 75lbs. 42 lbs sounds awfully small unless she's some sort of mini.
    Tiff

6. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

I'm pretty new so my advice may not amount to a hill of beans :lol anyway my girls love calf manna. It took a few days but once they tried it a couple of times they loved it. If I don't top dress their alfalfa pellets with it they are disappointed.
    JoAnn

7. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

[email protected] New Member

First, stop giving copper sulfate to the doeling. That stuff is bitter and can be caustic in high concentrations. Copper bolusing is the way to go if you are dealing with a deficiency problem in your herd. You will get some really good information in 101, and if you look up past posts.

Apppetite is a sign of health, IMO. My goats are food guzzlers when healthy. Picky eaters when they have a problem going on. If you goat was mine, it would be treated for coccidia and de-wormed. This may be why she is poorly. Make sure she has enough feeder space to eat her grain. We use long troughs and pour the doelings grain into it so they can eat without fighting over the feeder space. Also, make sure she isn't pushed out of the way by the other ones.

B-complex and adding a yeast product can help with appetite problems.

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well I can't see good this morning so can't read all of this but copper sulfate is a big NO NO get you a good loose mineral and copper bolus if you need to but don't just give the sulfate.
    Get her some good alfalfa pellets and forget it. give her Fortified B Complex and probios and forget abt forcing grain to her. I would personally isolate her with her on grain and hay for awhile could be she just doesn't want to fight for food. I can imagin if I tried to force feed anyone of my goats they wouldn't eat either.

9. Amanda Lee

Amanda Lee Member

I am also new to dairy goats but from what I have read here this is what I would do:

first I would have a fecal done, then worm according to what is needed. Then do a fecal later to make sure the wormer was effective.
    Then I would do as Sondra suggested.
    Good Luck

10. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I totally agree with Sondra however, I find that the kids eat sooner when fed in a shared trough. Sure, there has to be plenty of head room so that one doesn't get booted out, but I find that if a kid sees someone else enjoying something, then they tend to be more interested in it. Kinda like watching the grown-ups forage, they will all follow the older goats and eat what they're eating.
    JM2CW..

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OH I also agree with the worming and fecals

12. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

What are you offering her to eat? None of my goats would eat pears, carrots, apples etc, until much older and then just a few out of my fingers as a treat, mostly if I am eating it first.

When a goat won't eat normally you have to wonder about it. Did you raise these kids? Did she have diarrhea. When cocci ruined intestines are involved, kids won't eat because it makes their tummy hurt.

I would also fecal sample and see if you have your worm burdens under control, and also see if you still have some cocci....did you use prevention on them? A 42 pound saanen or Nubian would mean she is 4 months old.

The problem with living where we do and not using prevention for worms and cocci is stunted kids, this means you can't breed her or the sister this year, you have to hold her over, no kids for sale, no kids to keep and not milk for another year. Makes prevention totally worthwhile.

Also there are some grain mixes out there that goats putting their nose up to them is a good thing. Also make sure your loose mineral is good. There is tons to read and learn on the forum about least cost feeding which in the end gives you healthier stock, nice for you alot of it is local. Vicki

13. haeema

haeema New Member

All but one of my goats are Nubians and this one is Purebred Nubian. I keep all my goats on a regular worming schedule and no, she doesn't have diarreah. I feed my doelings in a long trough and they clean their feed up. In the past, I have tried putting her in the back yard by herself when it's time to eat but she will not even look at it. All she wants to do is eat grass or leaves. She will not eat the loose mineral, but every now and then, will lick the mineral salt block. I have tried manna on the dairy pellets, on the mixed grain, on the alfalfa pellets etc... but that doesnt' work either.

We do not have a copper problem. I just didn't want her to start having the crooked legs, hair discoloration, ...etc... from copper deficiency. She was born the last week of April and didn't even want a bottle by the first of August. I have given her ProBios in her bottle before and in the paste form. So, it's to no lack of trying. From what I've read above, she may just have bad intestines from cocci.?.?.

14. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well the mineral salt block I wouldn't use at all can break teeth and they don't get enough from a block worth the risk.

15. NubianSoaps.com

Did you use cocci prevention? What are you using for worming?

I just meant that if she had, had diarrhea when she was younger than your diagnosis of cocci damaged intestines would be easier. Trying to get our kids from birth to kidding themselves without a day of dairrhea is a huge goal, we now know that without fecals, since cocci can ruin them without one day of diarrhea is key...if you aren't going to fecal you have to use preventions.

Your kids has classic, I am not eating, because it makes my tummy hurt, cocci ruined intestines. Vicki

16. NubianSoaps.com

Grain would raise the acid PH in her rumen, as does milk, why they wean early and won't eat grain and will only eat dry grass, leaves and hay. We have all seen kids like this and in a large herd we may not even note a doeling like this until she exhibits the classic pot belly with little to no flesh over her topline. Lack of growth etc...Vicki

17. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

I was mainly thinking it through and trying to clarify with Trudy that the doe is mainly just eating hay.

18. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

What cocci prevention was used?

19. Rosnasharn Farm

Rosnasharn Farm Guest

You say she weaned herself...,I find that hard to beleive...mine are all 3 mths old and they love their bottles....I would say offer her a bottle again. Mine get milk and oaten hey...and grass they eat of course...they are way too young to stop having milk.