Doe with sensitive stomach

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by VickiLynne, Jul 9, 2008.

1. VickiLynne

VickiLynne Member

I have a yearling doe that has a sensitive stomach. Any little change and I mean ANY, She gets the runs. No change in attitude, doesn't act sick, been wormed, has minerals and baking soda free choice. She gets grass hay and 3 lbs alfalfa pellets daily. She was not bred last fall. (I know my bad) She has had a pot belly since she was young. I gave her a different brand of AF last night and this morning she has a nasty butt and I see loose cow pie plops everywhere. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Vicki in NC

2. goatkid

goatkid New Member

The pot belly suggest to me either worms or cocci. This would affect the way she digests her food. I'd do a fecal and see what you're dealing with so you can treat that. Kathie

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Although a fecal is of course the answer, it is pretty typical of a kid with cocci, who then grows up to be a hot house flower. It isn't her rumen that is the problem it is her intestines. Scarred over from the damage of the cocci, alot of the food she slurries in her rumen is then passed through the intestine unabsorbed. This unabsorbed liquid that would normally dehydrate the poop, doesn't come out so it comes out liquid.

She should be on probiotics it's the only remedy you have for the intestine. Perhaps adding cud from a healthy goat to hers could also help.

Of course making changes slowly, you simply can't run out of her feed. Even switching between hays or pellets should be done slowly. Vicki

4. VickiLynne

VickiLynne Member

Thanks Kathie and Vicki