Doe with possible bloat or hypocalcemia

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by backyard_farm, Feb 23, 2008.

1. backyard_farm

backyard_farm New Member

My doe kidded on monday and today is having what looks like contractions. She will stretch standing up as if having a contraction. She has been expelling gas off and on this afternoon, but doesn't look even a little bloated. She looks thinner than yesterday. Since she kidded she has looked heavy like she was still pregnant, but today looks a little less heavy. The hollows right under her back are sunk in more also. She has the same look in her eyes that she had the day she kidded and she will grind her teeth now and then. I haven't tried to take her temp.; I have no hobbles and tried rope for hobbles and that didn't work. She has been getting 3lbs of alfalfa pellets, 3/4 - 1lb oats and 1/2 cup BOSS plus free choice grass hay. Up until a month ago, she was getting the same amount of alfalfa plus 2 cups of oats and BOSS. I gradually increased grain to 1lb over the last month. After she kidded, she refused to eat alfalfa pellets and only ate her oats and BOSS( I had been mixing them together as she always cleaned up everything) After she ate her grain, and refused alfalfa pellets she would then eat only hay. So I took away the hay(this was in the morning) by the afternoon she had eaten most of her pellets and I gave her 1 more pound of alfalfa pellets which she ate part of also. So I gave her hay again and her grains which I cut down to 2 cups. The next day she got a small amount of hay in the morning then her alfalfa pellets with no grain. She ate about 3/4. I gave her the grains in the late afternoon; about 2 1/2 - 3 cups plus BOSS. This is what she has been getting every day since then; she has had no extra grain or grass or any other food. Yesterday and the day before she had mushy droppings but today they are back to the normal berries. She also either doesn't have a lot of milk or her kids are drinking it all. But she doesn't let them nurse very often and when she does it is not for very long.
    I treated her for bloat with the instructions I found in the 101 section: 2 Tb baking soda mixed with warm water and a tiny bit of molasses. Then about 30-40 minutes later I gave Pepto Bismol. Then about 30 minutes after that I gave vegetable oil; maybe 1/4-1/2 cup.
    She and my other doe(who kidded tuesday and has lots of milk even with two kids nursing a lot) both are eating the same thing but the other doe is fine.
    Thanks for any help,
    Belinda

2. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

Belinda,

Did you go in to check to see that she doesn't have any more kids in there?

Two years ago Krystal presented with many of the same signs you have here. She had kidded with twins (DD assisted as I was at a midwife appt...8 months pregnant). She kept lying around looking uncomfortable and occasionally grinding her teeth. Finally she started running a temp. We gave her antibiotics, thinking uterine infection. Talked to Sandy R. and she said we'd better go in and check her. Worked and worked and worked and finally got her cervix opened
    up. There was a dead kid in there that was starting to rot. Got it out and got her on antibiotics and she recovered.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Camille

3. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Do you have a milk stand? When I need to get a doe's temperature, I put her in the milk stand. I use a plastic digital thermometer. If she won't stand still for you, do you have anyone who can stand along side her and help? When my does are acting off in any way I take their temp. It's important inm determining what is going on with them. If she's eating, that's a good sign. Bloated goats get swollen and tight in the rumen area. If your doe is looking hollow, she's probably not bloating. The soda is good if her tummy has been upset. Do the babies' tummies feel full and are they content or are they crying? I've had does stretch because they are uncomfortable in the week after kidding, but were othewise fine and I had one who stretched when she had hypocalcemia - but this doe also went off feed and had a subnormal temp. If she has a retained kid, she would likely have a smelly discharge and fever.
    Kathie

4. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Yep she very well may have another kid in there. Last year I got some goats that were already bred, one was 11 years old or so, she kidded fine with 2 live kids and 1 mummy so I though ok you are done, went in to check nothing. The next morning I noticed her doing all this you described and I rubbed down her belly on the right side and found an extra set of tiny ribs. She had ripped her uterus at some point and the baby fell into her body cavity. So please ALWAYS check in there to be safe.

Autumn

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I would say you need to have her checked out for another kid in there also Stacy just lost her doe to this fact. Better safe than
    sorry. This doesn't sound like bloat or hypo to me Also you need to get probios down her now that you have given oil.

6. Theresa

Theresa New Member

Yes, check for another kid. I had one do that 2 years ago and was going to take her to the vet because it was a few days after she had kidded. When I went out to load her, she had delivered the 3rd kid, a big buckling that was dead. I thought her cervix would already have closed but not if there is another kid.
    Theresa

7. backyard_farm

backyard_farm New Member

This morning she is not eating but is till chewing her cud. The last time I saw her eat was late yesterday afternoon when she ate 3/4 of her grain(she usually cleans it up)
    She is still stretching a lot. Right now she is sitting down and will do the same stretching while sitting. She is still expelling gas now and then and still doesn't look bloated. I don't know if she is producing much milk or not; I check her and there's not much. Her kids are pooping normal so I know they are getting some. I am going to leave them with her for now but I am trying to give a bottle also. They are slowly catching on but will only take maybe 1oz or so at a time. I am using a baby bottle and they don't like it; today I will find a bottle for animals.
    Should I go ahead and give the treatment for hypocalcemia? And how do I check for another kid? She has no smelly discharge that I can see and I will have to wait until I get hobbles to check her temp. I am going out in a little while to get some goat supplies. Can I buy the CMPK at a feed store or tractor supply? If not, I will make the homemade formula.
    Thanks again.

8. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

To check for kids you will more than likely have to go in and see if the cervix is still open, do this gently. I don't know if you can palpate her or not to feel the kid, I doubt it at this point as the kid is probably decomposing right now. Keep us updated>

CMPK has to be purchased at the vet.

Autumn

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

the tube cmpk is very caustic so you need to delute it down big time now the liquid I have used and is not caustic I also use the homemade by Sue Reith BUT getting CMPK injectable from your vet is the best. Tho this girl needs some attention am not sure it is hypocalcemia still think it is a uterine tear or another kid. I would be going to the vet with her.

10. backyard_farm

backyard_farm New Member

My doe is doing much better today :D Yesterday I tried checking for more kids but didn't feel anything. I was gone half the day trying to find goat supplies ; it is almost impossible to find anything for dairy goats in my area. I did find probios and gave her a good dose when I got home. About an hour later she started improving and nibbling on her food. She was still stretching and passing gas though. Today I haven't seen her stretch at all, and she ate about 1/3 of her alfalfa and a little hay and she is letting her kids nurse more. So I guess since she is getting better, that she doesn't have another kid. Or is this wrong? Should I wait a day or two to give grain? I gave her maybe 1/4 cup of oats and 1/2 cup BOSS and a few baby carrots.
    Thanks again for all of the good advice :D
    Belinda

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

gradually increase her grain till she is getting 1 lb morning and evening .