Doe with Cow plop poo...

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by kidsngarden, Apr 29, 2008.

1. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Just when I think we are all clear...

A little background...Over the weekend I had a friend bail on me who was going to watch our goats while we went to ID for the new goats (said he knew how to milk and would come over twice a day - humph!). I ended up calling a different friend who has goats and a clean herd and asking her to watch them - but I had to bring them to her - 30 minutes away. They were in thier own stall, two pregnant and due this week, one newly fresh. I didn't worm them as Fresh doe was just wormed, and my PG does were due to be wormed after kidding and I thought that would be just too much worming all the way around! I don't know if that has anything to do with anything, but it might...

So now I have this doe who's ligaments are pretty dang soft, no discharge, she has dropped pretty low so I am on watch. Her poo was clumpy and I was waiting it out to see if it would turn around, but it hasn't. this morning it's cow plops. Temp is normal.

I'm wondering if this is because they are on a hay strike? She gets free choice alfalfa pellets and local and maybe a cup of grain a day. We had THE best local and now are out and buying ok local and they are turning thier noses at it. She is eating pellets and her bit of grain and water.

Help please???

2. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

If she will eat some grain, I'd mix a small handful with a tsp of Aloe juice, just to get it somewhat moist, and add about a tsp of slippery elm bark to it.. the Aloe juice is to get the SEBark to stick. My does love it.
    I would also check the hay, make sure it's clean, no mold or anything, and if it is clean, just leave it there.. if that's all you can offer, well that's all they'll get..

3. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

I have switched out the hay three times!!! It's from the same place we have always gotten it, but just not the same grower. They sniff at it and turn away. I don't think there is anything wrong with it as my new doe from tracy, Madam, is eating it just fine and the kids too. They are in a different pen and housing.

I do not have slippery elm. I wonder if there is a place around that does...

4. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

I found slippery elm tea at super supplements. I'm figuring it is the same stuff.

Should I worm her? I don't know...She is the only doe I didn't see the breeding so I'm not sure if I should just wait or what.

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

It's not going to hurt her to worm. Of course the stress of the move and not knowing exactly what this person fed extra is causing this. You do no want her to go off her grain. And if she is due soon you aren't feeding her enough grain anyway. Tracy has Alpines and is near you, how much grain is she feeding? A doe with the amounts of milk an Alpine can have getting just a small amount of grain, with many kids and you will have toxemia from her not having enough energy to do all this. Vicki

6. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

I don't get why I am so confused with the grain thing...I could have sworn it should be less grain when they are getting alfalfa pellets?

When I got Madam Tracy said she just fed her COB all the while she was milking, not really measured. but I am not clear as to how much when they are pregnant. Last kidding I didn't give any grain at all until after they kidded (one was a FF and the other a 2nd) Guess I was lucky. This year has not been so hot with one doe getting sick just prior to kidding and now this poop thing.

OK, I'm going to go out and worm her. then do I worm again when she kids?

I brought my own feed and hay with instructions to my friends house, but she did say she had forgotten to give the non milkers thier oats (she doesn't grain unless they are in milk) It was two days they went without oats but still had local and alfalfa pellets.

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yes worm her again when she freshens. as for the amount of grain and alfalfa
    at least 3 lbs of alfalfa pellets per goat per day year round. dry does no grain until 100days then start gradually adding grain till by day of freshening they are getting 1 lb morn and 1lb evening after freshening then according to production increase or decrease amounts.
    Now some of mine that I know are heavy producers get 2 lb ea feeding by the time they freshen and I have a couple mini mancha's that are heavy producers that carry quads most of the time and they get 1 1/2 to 2 lbs each feeding.

8. J-Basqo

J-Basqo New Member

You said you were waiting to worm, but have you treated for cocci??
    Patina

9. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

I wormed, but already when I went out to worm her her stools were starting to firm up. I think it was just the adjustment...
    I am gradually increasing her grain - better late than never!