Doe with cough

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by doublebowgoats, Dec 24, 2008.

1. doublebowgoats

doublebowgoats Active Member

Shami, the doe who had an impaction a couple of weeks ago, is coughing. She has had a slight cough since she was sick. (I guess since she had several days when she was so bloated she could hardly breathe.) Today she seems a little droopy, not bad, just not perky. I have pen and gent. Should I start her on something? Oh, her digestion is fine and she is eating and drinking and her temp is normal.

2. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Were you giving her oral meds? I'm wondering about inhalation pneumonia. Nuflor is what my vet prescribes for that. Kathie

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

With no temp now I would use a antihistamin and Vit C save your antibiotics if a temp, so check her a little later on as it warms up today and see what it is again and then daily. I use people VIT C and start off with 1500 mg my goats will eat them plain some say they have to use children chewables.

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

It could very well simply be the acids in her rumen have burned her esophogus, any irritation like that will make her cough. I would use the Nuflor...well honestly I use Naxcel. But make sure you support her intestinal flora and rumen, probiotics, b vitamins etc. Lots of good hay, warm water...she isn't 100% so no grain yet. Vicki

5. doublebowgoats

OK sorry I didn't get back sooner... Thanks for everybody's responses. I, too, was worried about inhalation pneumonia because I gave her mineral oil with a syringe but the vet had checked her out after that. Well I will keep up her Vit c which I have been giving all week. Start her back on probios. But I don't have any Nuflor or naxcel and don't know if I can get the vet today. Should I just wait for that or start her on one of the antibiotics I already have?

6. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Don't use the gentomycin. Check her for a temp first before you do anything.
    Ward off any secondary infection with the penn-g. For pnuemonia it's about useless. Bio-mycin is better for resp. than Penn-G.
    Take her temp and let us know what it is.
    Kaye

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I have meds you need so listen to Kaye and Vicki
    Kaye right now this doe has no temp at least she didn't yesterday.

8. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

With this doe not running a fever....sure sign of pnuemonia, then I would also work on building the rumen back to normal, keep a very close eye on her for any temp. . Hair fluffed out (others not) standing off to herself, humped up...then take her temp.

I WOULD give her a 1/2 dose of banamine 1/2cc/100# to ease any pain she may be having in the throat, lungs, stomach. It will ease her enough to get her back to eating. The fastest way to get the rumen going again. Keep up the probios and the B vitamin shots for several days. You can give this 1/2 dose of banamine every 12 hrs. for 2-4 days. Yeh, I know...now, your asking how am I suppose to check the temp with giving her banamine. Banamine is a smooth muscle relaxer-lungs, stomachs,uterine, udder, etc...it will ease the pain in these muscles. She will still have a nasal discharge, and an elevated temp (with fever) but not to the HIGH temps. of pneumonia. Just check her's and a herd mates.
    Why do you think horses are given banamine in cases of colic? It relaxes the muscles, thus easing the pain of the colic. Colic horses run a temp because of the pain and contractions of the muscles.

If you have to give anitibiotics, Nuflor or Naxcel (I also prefer Naxcel) would be my choices.
    Kaye

9. doublebowgoats

Thanks Kaye . Will give the banamine. We were out in the pen all day working on barn improvements and she seems OK. Still no temp and the cough didn't worsen. But she is doing stretches like pre-labor stretches. Maybe she could be slipping her pregnancy?

10. goatkid

goatkid New Member

They can also do stretches when their tummy is bothering them. Kathie

11. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

Just curious, what is a prelabor stretch?

12. Sondra

Sondra New Member

sounds like a belly ache is she eating her hay good? and drinking water? keep up the probios

13. doublebowgoats

Well, I had to go out of town yesterday and be gone all day. Gave her her shots before I left. This morning she seems really good. Running so she could be the first for attention and eating well. So I feel pretty optimistic. Thanks again for all your help.
    Linda, when I say pre-labor stretch I just mean stretching their back legs out and arching their back(not humping their back). Not a technical term -just my own term. hehe

14. Sondra

Sondra New Member

AH that sounds better.