Doe with cold udders

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by rg1950, Jul 25, 2008.

1. rg1950

rg1950 New Member

We have a doe who is 3 years old. Right after we bought her, we had her tested and she was diagnosed with mastitis. We treated her and she dried up on her own. When she kidded again this year, we had her tested again. She still has the mastitis. We have had all our herd tested and none of our goats had it, just her. We ordered Pirsue based on the sensitivity tests results (said it was resistant to penicillin and tetracycline) and was preparing to use it, but first had to milk out the large amount of milk built up in her udders.

She kidded March 31st and we pulled the babies and lambared them. One of them had gotten some of her milk and soon died after birth. The buck is strong and healthy. I have milked a little to relieve pressure, but not milked her out completely. The last time was about a month ago. Last night when I milked her, her udders look normal, no discoloration, no scaling or scabbing, etc. Her udders were extremely cold to the touch. No warmth at all. Does this mean the mastitis has caused permanent tissue damage? I was planning to start the pirsue treatment Monday. She has been isolated, by herself for months now and I hate to keep doing this to her, but don't want to risk her infecting the rest of our herd. We sent tests for all of them in to Homer LA AG lab, and she is the only one with this type of problem. The rest of our herd, and her, have been vaccinated with Lysigin, but I know it is no guarantee. This doe is strong and healthy and we was wanting to keep her around for her kids (she has great litters and beautiful babies). She is purebred, not american Nubian, registered and beautiful.

What would cause cold udders in the hot summer time in Texas? I know we will probably have to cull her, but if we can keep her dried up for another litter, (she has been cidr'd and bred) then we will cull her after this kidding if the pirsue don't work.

Also, we have been milking 9 does this season morning and night and I have not noticed any of them with cold udders.
    Thanks, Tara

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Both Shoofly and Birdy are dry and after reading this I went and felt their udder's...they are warm like thier skin. I would be worried that she has lost circulation in her udder? What was the fluid in the udder like when you milked it?

Hope others reply because you already have heard it from me :) Vicki

3. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

The doe I lost this year that was fine one minute and sick the next, and seemed to have a calcium diffiency had cold teats when I milked her out and discovered infection (mastitis )at the same time, but she did not make it 24 hours. I thought she was going into gangreen mastitis, so ??? :/

4. rg1950

rg1950 New Member

Vicki, The milk looked a little watered down. It didn't have chunks or blood or anything. I didn't feel of the milk to see if it was cold or not. We are culling her after she kids with this litter. The cost, time, and money we have lost with this goat is just not worth it anymore. We just need to keep the mastitis in check until she kids. I don't know how effective pirsue is, as we have never used it before, but we are going to use it and see if it will keep her from spreading. So far, based on the tests from LA,we are good. We keep her away (secluded in a pen) from our other dairy goats and boers. What is the meat withdrawal time for gentamicin?

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

It's in goatkeeping 101. Injected it is forever, as in months why it's not cleared for food producing animals only calves with a certain pnemonia? Vicki

6. rg1950

rg1950 New Member

Tonight, I went out and touched her udders. They were actually warm (not feverish warm) but body temp warm. Maybe they felt cold because of the old milk stored up in them. I don't know??? I never noticed a goat with cold udders at dry up time, but of course I haven't had a reason to milk them either.

Tara