Doe that kidded questions

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Ravens Haven, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Hi all,

The doe that kidded on 1*26*08 is up and fine but she squats to pee sometimes and nothing comes out, is this something to worry about. We did have to go in to check for others but found nothing, we did treat her but I just want to make sure this is nothing to worry with.

Thanks
    autumn

2. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

She might have the beginning of a bladder infection. Is she drinking lots of water?

3. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Not that I have noticed.

4. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

I think she needs to be encouraged to drink as much as possible to flush it out. If she has a serious infection then somebody here can tell you what antibiotic you need and how much. Is she running a temperature? My mom used to drink cranberry juice for bladder infections, but I don't think that would help in a ruminant animal.

5. goatkid

goatkid New Member

She might just be irritated from kidding. I'd take her temperature before giving antibiotics. I know for people, you take sulfa for a baldder infection. I'd encourage her to drink water. Adding apple juice might help her want more and fruit juice is somewaht acidic which may help. Maybe she's even like cranberry juice.

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Do you remember what it feels like to pee when you had children 2 days ago ;) Like your insides will come with you...remember her uterus has not shrunk down to normal size yet, or it is putting pressure on her bladder. A sulfa won't hurt her but it likely isn't needed at this point. Vicki

7. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I agree. Give her a few days, she'll probably get back to normal.

8. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

oh yeah, I do remember that feeling. Okay won't worry for now.

Thanks
    Autumn