Doe that is a nightmare to shave!!

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Dover Farms, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Ugh! We just shaved my new dry yearling yesterday....boy was that such fun....NOT! We tried every trick we know to get her to hold still at the least...nothing worked. :help2 She was okay doing the body, but the legs and feet....ya better watch out or you'll end up with a few missin' teeth or a black eye! :/ I tried putting her rear end over my leg to do her back feet...all she did was kick me, but it does work somewhat for other does.

Any suggestions on how to shave a goat that goes wacko other than not showing her at all? :help

2. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

We would be fighting and I would do it everyday that I got a chance until she quit.. or got sold, one or the other :)

3. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

:yeahthat

I wouldn't tolerate that type of behavior. She's be gone.

Sara

4. Katarina

Katarina New Member

I get a sister to help me hold her for the first couple clippings. By then she has calmed down. After that, I have no idea.

5. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Okay...unfortunately that is what I was thinking. As we were trying to shave her yesterday....Mom said "If you keep this up...we're going to keep a doe kid out of you and your gone!"

We still have to trim her feet....yay...such fun.....

6. Katarina

Katarina New Member

I kept telling my sister's doe that if she kept it up, I was going to sell her at the show!! :lol: It didn't turn out that way. My sister got another sister to help trim her and she is still here. :mad

7. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

LOL!

Mom also told me "Glad she's not my goat....have fun milking her!" I'm like Oh Thanks! :crazy

8. Odeon

Odeon New Member

I agree with the others, this doe would be history! I don't have the patience to tolerate such behavior. Unless she was absolutely phenominal... and even then, I could still visit her in another herd! :rofl

9. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

I have the same problem. A dry yearling that I got about 12 days ago. Before that she was running wild on a grass pasture. UGH! She amazed me though. She let me clip her face like a doll. I was quite encouraged. ...That encouragement though was short-lived. For some reason she does NOT NOT NOT like her chest arm/leg pits done. Boy! I really had to jump a few times. I am ALMOST done with her. I put her up that day after getting 90% done. I only have two legs to do from the knee and hock down. AND yup...like you I get to trim her feet. Yippee! I will be going to my very first show this June 7th with her. I think she's pretty nice. Will be breeding her this fall. In only 12 days that I have owned her she has calmed down VERY much. I am encouraged.

Time will tell whether or not she'll let me milk her though. She does the hop-a-long Jig whenever I try to work with her in that area. (To get her used to it.)

I think PERSISTANCE and lots of patience and long-suffering is the key! :lol

Let me know if you find anything that works. My yearling is too big to place over my knee. And I am too small. :lol

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Can you straddle her and pull her leg up to do it. This I have done before and they they calm down.

11. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

I'm too short to straddle anything except kids. :rofl It is a good idea though.

12. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well I am only 5' 1 1/2"

13. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

There is a nerve just above the hock that you can pinch to take the kick out of the rear legs. Just circle the whole leg/hock area with your hand and squeeze. Lift the leg backwards and clip away.

Yep, I agree with "the gone", theory. Couple of mine have ended up GONE!
    Kaye

14. We just returned last night from watching the Springfield shows... didn't think I really ever wanted to show (still not sure :sigh) BUT...came home knowing I want to see what's under all that HAIR~~.. okay, total novice here... where do I start shaving?
    susie, mo ozarks

15. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I went to a show one time with the slightest hint of a black eye one time thanks to a goat that didn't want me shaving her legs. She drew that leg up and popped me right in the cheek bone under my eye. You had to know it was there to really notice it, but that was all I could see when I looked in the mirror. It hurt a lot worse than it looked. I just knew everyone was going to think I was a battered goat owner. :biggrin but really no one could tell. If she is a really nice goat and worth showing again, then I guess that is the only way to do it is just shave her quite often and maybe she will get used to it. I shaved mine twice and the second time she was better than the first time. This one was a huge 200 pound 2 year old black Alpine.

16. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

Y
    ep.. agree with you there Sara.
    My Grandson and I have a saying... Every goats gets a meal ticket. Good for free meals and of course room and board.
    When that meal ticket gets punched so many times... down the dusty road they go.

If you can't send them down the road... I suggestion would be to put them on one of those grooming stands. I have a Sydel just for my bucks and unruly does. put thier head in.. lift it up to just where thier front feet barely touches the stand. Of course.. sometimes that doesn't help.
    Is she perchance coming into heat?? I have one if she is close to, in or going out of heat.. forget about it.

17. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

Wow! I did not know that. Thank you Kaye! :biggrin

18. Jennie

Jennie New Member

My girls usually do pretty well but if I'm having problems with the back legs I pick up the oppisite one that I'm doing and hold it while I shave the other leg. It's to hard to jump with onlly one back leg on the ground. I also clip them on the milk stand. I also found that if I run my free hand along the other side of the same leg while I clip that seems to help. Maybe it calms the vibrations some. One thing I don't do is I don't quit when they act up. I make sure we end on a good note and when I say its time to quit. All in all most of my girls do pretty good.

19. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

We've tried the above the hock thing....that didn't work either. Lifting up one leg while doing the other...yep tried that.....she just lifted up her whole rear end.

She's a pretty doe with a pretty pedigree(hey Sara...you used to have her aunt!). Maybe if I just keep trying she will get better. She was only shown once as a Jr. kid last year to my knowledge, so maybe that's my problem?? Also, I really don't need to take her out because at her first(and last) show she went GCH and got her dry leg. I just like showing my goats and with her acting like this I would hate to let her go for another whole year without being shaved and shown and trying it as a 2 year old! :/

20. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Jacque (sara Used to have her aunt hmmm,) maybe she was a dancer too!

Does anyone have any tips for how you train them to not mind the clippers and be good on the stand for leg clipping? do you clip frequently? or as babies? or just breed calmer goats than I do ! lol! I always have a couple I'ld rather kill then clp!