doe recently kidded, no discharge

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Sunny Daze, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

OK, I thought this was odd but a post on another thread really got me thinking about it. One of my does had quads a few days ago. Normal there is a discharge for several days, or even a week or two after kidding. I haven't seen much discharge at all. Is this something to worry about? She is acting fine....I did not have to go in or assist in any way. She passed the placenta fine...just wondering if this is something to be concerned about?

2. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

Some does don't do any discharge once the afterbirth is passed.......but at about two weeks or so they will sometimes discharge again for a few days. This is normal. If she is acting fine I wouldn't worry.

3. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

I would just take her temp once a day . Smell her rear end to make sure you do not start getting a foul smell.

Patty

4. goatkid

goatkid New Member

My does are all different. Some have more discharge than others, and for different lengths of time. When goats have multiples, they tend to pass alot of fluids during the actual birth. Since she's cleaned out, I wouldn't worry too much. With that many kids, if she starts acting off, I'd be more likely to suspect milk fever, as large litters are more likely to deplete her calcium.

5. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Yep. I've had does that didn't have a discharge for a week or more, then have a slight discharge for several days. No fever, no smell, not going off feed...no worry.
    Kaye

6. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

Ok, Thanks! I will just keep an eye on her and make sure she doesn't run a temp. Just wanted to double check..she seems fine though.

7. donna

donna Member

I had the same worry, but discovered my LGD was "cleaning" them up. Don't worry.....

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

She passed the placenta fine....

Quads with one placenta is not normal. There would be a placenta in each horn of the uterus, with 1, 2 or 3 kids in each side. Normally twins per side...or in some cases 3 biggers kids in one side and one large kid in the other.

I would watch her temp carefully, watch the amount of milk she gives. Vicki