Doe pooping on milkstand

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Oregonian Chick, May 17, 2008.

1. Oregonian Chick

Oregonian Chick New Member

Ok first question is WHY do they do this and second is HOW do I get them to stop? I have a nubian doe I bought last year as a three year old and this year as I am milking her she poops EVERY SINGLE TIME on the friggin milkstand. I have never ever had any other does do this be it FF or old timers none of my other girls have ever done this.

What can I do? It is driving me nuts! I hate hate hate her pooping on the milkstand not to mention it is dirty and disgusting. Help!

Justine

2. Rose

Rose New Member

Is she first in the milking group? Move her to later in line.

Do you give them time to 'process' between when you arrive at the milk house and when you start bringing them in? I call to my goats as I walk toward the milk house, and they all start peeing and pooping as I arrive.

If you have time, you could make her wait outside the milk house till she poops, then reward her with coming in to be milked and get grain. You may have to do this daily for a week or so.

3. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Yep.....I would do/try something to change her normal milking routine.......kinda like throwing a wrench in the gears.

Whim

4. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Yep switch her routine around and give her time to do her business before she gets on the stand. Maybe she just dont have time to get the job done before its her turn especially if she is the first in line.

5. Oregonian Chick

She is last in the line and she sees me coming and knows. Some people suggested having her walk around before she gets on. She DOES walk around before she gets on the stand. I just have never had does do this...mine have always waited until they get off to go. I will try throwing a wrench in the gears whim. Normally since I have two stands I bring Trinket and this doe out. I milk Trinket first and then milk this doe. Maybe I need to milk this doe first and put her away right afterwards so as to not have her do this.

Shoot she has even tried to pee on the stand! I just don't understand it.

Justine

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep your letting her eat while milking the other one so milk her first and put her out. even if she isn't finished with her grain, for a few days and see if it doesn't chg.

7. Oregonian Chick

Ok I will. She didn't poop today on the stand. I got her out, milked her, and put her away. She isn't skinny by any means so not getting all of her grain won't kill her:p. I just have never had any of my does I have raised do this so for me this is so weird. All my other girls are so well mannered no matter what. Thank you for all the ideas and brainstorms! I was getting so frustrated and upset with this dang doe!

Justine

8. Corky

Corky New Member

I have had them all do this at some point. I have found that a goat with a large rueman poops more than one that is thinner. Fact.
    I have one that will pee then poop. Walk around a minute and poop again. walk around a minute and poop again.
    She is always last on the stand and I make sure she is out of bed when I start with the first one.
    I never leave one laying in while I am milking.
    I am leaving this goat in the hall at night so I can ween her twins. I have to muck the hall before I can walk in there in the morning. It is deep in poop every day.

If a goat is upset for any reason, and I will have to admit that somedays I am not very nice and I do upset them... they will poop on the stand. That only makes me madder but it does happen.

I don't claim to be perfect. :blush2

9. Oregonian Chick

LOL well she again has yet to poop. That is three milkings and no pooping! YAY! :woohoo Boy...what a thing to be excited over huh? Only goat people I guess :rofl.

Justine

10. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

I have one that started this behavior, and now we make sure that she is standing UP waiting for her turn instead of laying there chewing her cud, then she' s pretty good.

11. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Get you a squirt bottle and put some vinegar water in it and squirt her right in the rear end hole when she does that. They don't like to be wet and they don't like the smell of the vinegar.