Doe pooping grenades, not berries !

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by prairie nights, Apr 27, 2009.

1. prairie nights

prairie nights New Member

I have a Nubian milker, and she poops big clusters of berries that stay together (looks like grenades on the ground). The yearling drops regular berries. I am feeding prairie hay, alfalfa pellets (free choice) and grain on the stand (oats, corn, BOSS, beet pulp) and free choice Tech Master. Fresh water is offered at all times.

This is the same doe that had blood one time on her rectum, wonder if she is straining like this. Is she constipated?
    Do i need to change her feed or amounts?

Jana

2. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Does she have access to fresh grass? This time of year it will cause loose stools.

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep all mine have been having large clumps due to the rich new grass plus just freshening and upping grain amounts. It will settle down believe me.

4. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member

5. prairie nights

Well, the stool is not loose. It is the same consistency as individual berries and you can see the berries within in, one next to the other, but they stay in one large ball. The grenade really describes it best, it's the same shape too.

There is fresh grass/weeds (really more weeds than grass) in the yard, but she does not seem very interested in it. Nibbles on her pellets and eats her hay most of the time. The yearling eats more of the green weeds and her poop is single berries.

Jana

6. catdance62

catdance62 New Member

that is good to know--some of mine are doing it too!!

7. favablue

favablue New Member

Ours do it off and on. Right now we have one doe with it. It usually comes and goes. I think its normal as long as it does not last too long.   

8. prairie nights

How long is too long? This has been going on for weeks, I don't think I have seen her with individual berries, coming out one at a time.

Jana

9. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

spring is also "worm" weather so check those gums and eye lids often .... as worms can give them the grenades (lol) also .

10. wardarden

wardarden New Member

Jana,

Do you have some probios you can feed? I use the Goats Prefer Probiotic Powder that my local TSC carries. My girls expect it sprinkled on top of their feed every day. (diva's that they are!) Also make sure you are keeping baking soda out free choice. And as Linda said check the eye lids often for signs or worm load! Some goats seem more prone to the "grenades" than others. Not to worry to much though. I always laugh cause I don't know of any people other than us goat fanatics that watch poop so closely! :crazy

Hope this helps,

Arden Ward
    Trinity Rose Oberhasli
    Murfreesboro, TN

11. judyvansmith

judyvansmith New Member

Looks as if we have a new term, "grenade poop" ! Just think of all the info we get about our goats health by watching that poop !

12. prairie nights

There is a story that goes with the grenades. My doe's name is Christie and my best friend's name is Kristi. I was on the phone with my friend, got off the phone and had my mind back on the goats and I kept thinking how I need to post about this in case it was something serious.

So I turn to hubby and ask, "How do you spell grenade?" and he tells me and asks why I need to know. So I go on to tell him how Christie has poop like grenades and I want to get online to look it up to see what it is. He then asks how I know it;s like grenades. So I tell him that I saw it, it's all over the place and looks exactly like grenades.

Now, in complete disbelief he looks at me and says "You saw her POOP!!??" . And then the doe versus friend thing hit him that I had not been sharing the woes of a constipated friend but a doe with a poop problem.

Now don't get me started on the looks I get from folks telling them how Christie's teats are so easy to squeeze, ha ! My friend is bound to be embarrassed all over town ever since I got this doe with a similar name (mind you, pronouncing they sound exactly the same) a month ago.

I think I will warm, those lids are not as pink as I would like them to be.

Jana

13. Jacquelynn

Jacquelynn New Member

:rofl
    That's so funny!
    We have some does that are doing that too. I think it must be the green. However, we are watching for worms closely too. It's about that time of year again!
    Jacquelynn

14. Ashley

Ashley New Member

LOL, I have a doe the same name as my friend too :)

15. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

I have one with the same thing, running a fecal as I type. Question though, the tube that I let it settle in is clearer on top and 9/10 of the rest of vial is muddy looking. Do I suck the claerer out? I was just gonna post a question on that anyways, so there you go.

16. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member