Doe not well.

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by mill-valley, Mar 21, 2008.

1. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Princess is a 2 yr old 2nd freshener, kidded 2/17, so about a month fresh. Last night temp 100.9, this am temp 100.8. Eating hay, no grain. Not really producing milk. She is usually a 13-15#/day producer. Seems depressed but is chewing her cud. She has never had calcium problems, but my gut is telling me that's the problem. Reason being they had really good alfalfa hay but this new batch (started feeding 2 wks ago) is not nearly as good. I have never fed alfalfa pellets because they get it in the hay; they also get grain mix. I don't know exactly how much she eats but I'd guess around 5#/day. Any ideas?

2. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Get calcium in her now.

Patty

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Yep cmpk injectable from a vet or your going to lose her. don't give her grain now give her alfalfa pellets and hay if you cant get the injectable then get something even use Sue Reith's homemade cmpk. but do it now.

4. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

I do have injectable CMPK, picked it up this am. Last night I gave her 60 cc oral drench of a CMPK solution. I am at work, I can't get to her right this minute but I will try to get home on my lunch hour (about 2 hours from now). I have never seen hypocalcemia in any of my goats. I will also call around to find alfalfa pellets, not sure even if the feed mills carry them around here. I know TSC doesn't have them. Does she need propylene glycol as well or just CMPK for now?

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I would say just the cmpk

6. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Just CMPK. 2nd frshener is when you will start seeing problems. Usually up to 5-7yrs. when they aren't producing so much. Same with dairy cattle. Welll.....except for the occasional few. KEN!
    Kaye

7. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Thanks very much for the help. I am going now to give her the CMPK. Anything else I need to do, watch out for, etc. like tonight and tomorrow? I will not have access to a computer after 5 pm tonight.

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

just keep up the CMPK until she is completly well also some B Complex like 3 cc a day over the week end.