Doe not getting pregnant

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Victoria99, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Victoria99

Victoria99 New Member

2017 was not a good year. Several of my does lost their babies shortly after kidding. One was about 6 weeks before her due date. The others kidded and one by one almost all the babies were lost, VERY HEARTBREAKING. Rebecca was a FF that kidded in May with a buckling, but he was gone in less than 1 hour. She has not kidded since then. Everybody else that kidded and lost that year has gone on to kid again and have healthy babies. One has actually kidded twice- once in Mar 2018 and again in Dec. 2018 (not planned). I have had a buck with her for almost the whole time and nothing. He is the sire to the Dec surprise kid, so I know he's okay. She was huge last summer and I thought oh good finally, then nothing. She has really deflated since then, like she had really kidded, but nope. She still looks like she has "baby fat", but she is not fat. Her udder came in a little, like B+ or C cups for us and I was able to get a few squirts out of each tit (I wasn't trying to milk her just seeing if she was coming in and getting ready). I would keep checking every couple of days and this went on for weeks and then she deflated and that was it. A few weeks later her "udder" dried up and that was it. I don't know what to do. The vets around here are interested in cows and horses. I tell them that I have goats and they just laugh and tell me that they don't do those kind of animals. At least I know that she can kid, she has done it before. So, what is up? How can I get her kidding again?

2. LittleDairyAcres

LittleDairyAcres New Member

First off, i was thinking maybe you had something such as chlamydia or listeriosis in your herd. Both are a common cause of abortions. But that's not what you are here for, and they have gone on to kid successfully so i don't think its a problem anymore. Maybe she has cystic ovaries? Maybe she has a mineral deficiency of some sort (normally copper) How do they get their minerals. Maybe she had listeriosis it chlamydia and aborted the kid, soon enough that you didn't see anything. She also could have been hit by another doe and absorbed the kids. Or she could have simply had a false pregnancy (cloudburst)

3. Victoria99

Victoria99 New Member

I don't think it's the minerals. Loose minerals and they never seem to gobble them up like they are starving for them. The bucks get in that mood for a couple of weeks and then they taper back off. This happens about every 2-3 months. But the girls just stay consistant.
    They were copper dosed 2x's last year.
    When they clobber each other it's usually hitting in the face up to and including hind leg standing, body in the air and slamming down on each others heads like the bucks do. Occasionally, I will see them bump each other in the butt, but that is usually because they are getting in each others way.
    The false pregnancy thing I was thinking too, especially after her "udder" vanished.
    Chlamydia is sexually transmitted, so my bucks would have something too, nothing. 3 does never had any trouble kidding in 2017 and all their babies were healthy growing up.
    cystic ovaries I thought only happened to does who have never kidded.
    I am so frustrated. I missed having her on DHI last year, 2018, because of this. Everybody got their stars but her. And this year she will miss out on her LA eval. I don't want to get rid of her, but she may leave me no choice.
    Victoria

4. punchiepal

punchiepal Member

5. Dorothy

Dorothy New Member

Has your herd been tested for CAE? I know the CAE disease can cause death for no known reason at birth... possibly miscarriage too.

6. Victoria99

Victoria99 New Member

No, I won't test for CAE. I think it is a waste of money and time. With false positives and negatives who can trust the results. I knew one breeder when I was living in Colorado who had several of her does tested, two came up positive. The vet had her redo the tests at 6 weeks on the 2 and one still came back positive the other was inconclusive. The owner had the positive doe put down "to save the rest of the herd" after the necropsy the vet told her that there was no sign of the disease and that she was perfectly healthy. She was heartbroken, one of her favorite does euthanized for nothing. Another person sent in two samples on the same goat but used different names (just to see if what she heard was true) and sure enough what she got back was 2 different results. I have heard this happening several times. If you have a closed herd, and/or raise your kids on a CAE protocol, why do you have to keep testing year after year especially with a test that is so inaccurate?
    All of the goats I bought were from closed herds and raised on the protocol so I don't see any problems there. I don't show and when I do buy a new buck it's only from another closed herd. I keep my exposure to a minimum.