Doe not eating

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by doublebowgoats, Dec 1, 2008.

1. doublebowgoats

doublebowgoats Active Member

I have an 8 mo old doe (MM) who is not eating. She had an impaction of tape worms after worming with Valbazen last week and went off feed. I've got her on fortified b- complex and cd antitoxin. Her rumen is moving some but she is not cudding. Anything else to do?
    Thanks

2. Haglerfarm

Haglerfarm New Member

I don't know. I think I would call a vet.
    How long has she been off feed? If they are off feed too long they can get fatty liver disease, not sure the exact name for it.
    Les

3. Caprine Beings

Caprine Beings New Member

If her rumen isn't working correctly you can give her some pro-bios and/or baking soda. Tammy

4. doublebowgoats

Thanks. She s already on probios. i hand fed her leaves and beet pulp slurry for the last couple of days, so she has had something in her. just not much.

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

What is her temp? and would put her on lactated ringers also try stealing a cud. But knowing this goat I believe now might be the time to quit and butcher her. She is just not thrifty and hasn't been. I'll give you another one. :) by the way I just got home will call you tomarrow.

6. doublebowgoats

Thanks Sondra. Yes, I'm thinking it may be time to put her down but after all she's had I'm sure not eating her!
    Her temp is 101 at last check.

7. doublebowgoats

Well I checked temp again and it's 102.3.

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I have lactated ringers if you want

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Is she pooping? IF not you can also get her tubed, filed with oil it's about the only way to get an impaction moving. Then you can deal with rebuilding the rumen when the cause of the problem is addressed. Vicki

10. doublebowgoats

Oh, she's pooping now. But just not eating.