Doe not cycling

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by susie, Dec 22, 2008.

1. susie

susie New Member

here's the link to my prior post about jasmine and her last year's kidding

https://dairygoatinfo.com/index.php/topic,2278.0.html

basically she had some decomposing kids and one that I had to tubefeed for a long time that lived in the house for 3 weeks, but eventually found a great home with my neighbor who has a petting farm and does nurising home visits, etc. I 'm sure I did the antibiotics suggested here, but I can't recall the specifics. I did a flush, but didn't thread the catheter into the cervix so wasnt in the uterus
    We wanted to breed Jasmine late this year due to our summer schedule. Problem is i haven't seen her in heat. All the other girls have been bred, and appear to be preg Jasmine is pretty obvious when she's in heat
    She is the herd queen and I have seen her curling her lip like a buck occasionally, but she's done that in the past.
    Can you please tell me what I can do to start her cycling?
    thanks!
    susie

2. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

I'm sure you'll probably get yelled at by our herd queens for not entering the uterus to do the flush so "brace yourself." One of my does pulled the same garbage, but luckily, my oldest daughter "caught" her in heat and bred her. Very quick crazy like 4 hour standing heat cycle. I bet they will tell you to do a uterine flush - isn't it too late in the season?

3. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Yes, it is getting pretty late.
    BUT, even if this doe is harboring a uterine infection, she should still be showing signs of heat, breeding, just not settling. OR...there may be a piece of one of the fetuses lodged in the uterine wall. Geez...there are just so many possibilities.
    ANY possibility this doe may have been bred early in season? Buck escape, all that jazz?

#1. Pull blood and send for preg. test! (I always like to recommend this before resorting to drugs, if there's any chance they may have been exposed to buck.)

Get the results, and proceed from there. You still have Jan. to TRY to clean this doe up and get her LATE bred.
    Kaye

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Agreed, a uterine infection bad enough to cause infection on her ovaries, and be outside the uterus, would have overt illness signs in the doe.

And we won't yell at anyone about only flushing the vagina, it's just that it does no good and it's a waste of your time and meds. Vicki

5. susie

susie New Member

Thanks guys!
    I forgot to mention that the buck has been with the does for a month now, so I will definitely draw blood for a preg test as soon as I can. in retrospect that's a pretty important detail-- her heats have always been SO obvious in the past... but perhaps she has been bred (crossing fingers_) I didn't see any signs of heat from her in the autumn.
    - do you find that older does have "quieter" heats?

thanks!

6. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:biggrin I can't really reply on that one...because my oldest doe is a 4yr. old! I finish the does GCH status, get at least a 3 yr.old LA on them, get a daughter with a better udder-confomation, and I sell the doe. :shrug But, my 4 yr. old wasn't as vocal as my 1&2yr. olds, though it was easy to tell she was in heat, because she was glued to the buck fence and buck was going nuts.

If she has been penned with a buck...then I wouldn't do anything until you get those test results back.
    Kaye