Doe not concieving.

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Corky, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Corky

Corky New Member

Same doe but other topic.

This is a yearling.

bred in the fall. Did not take.
    Bred next cycle. Did not take.
    bred last time 2-10..This turned into a false pregnancy complete with bagging up and getting bigger.

A Friend in goats says she is an awesome doe and not to give up on her but give her a shot of Cyst___ something and then Lute her and breed her again.

What is she talking about and if it is a cyst problem will this help?

Is there anything else I can do or would you suggest I just get rid of her next Spring when my other 4 freshen?

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

It's hard with virgin does because you don't know if it's hormonal or if it's structural.

If she is cycling but not conceiving than it could be cysts on her ovaries. Think snot holding the eggs from not being able to let loose and be bred. Yes Cysterellon will break the snot up and let eggs float free to be ovulated and inseminated. If there is something wrong with her that the eggs can't get to the falopian tubes or into the uterus, or if she doesn't have a uterus, than using the Cysterellon is for naught.

When she is in standing heat and being bred you give the 1cc of Cysterellon. It has worked in cycstic fat does for us in the passed, but a hard to breed yearling here has always turned out to have an incomplete vagina, no uterus or testicles found where there should have been ovaries.

Does she have normal looking teats? When the buck breeds her does she have a messier than normal rear end? If his penis can not get in the incomplete vagina very far it will blow semen all over her thighs and tail when normally messy tails are messy under tails and vaginas/exterior labia. Vicki

3. Corky

Corky New Member

No Vicki,
    When he has bred her she has not been messy other than a small amount of seman stringing.

I did a pelvic on her when she was so past due and I was afraid there might be a problem.

As she was not dilated I could not get past the length of my middle two fingers.
    I did not hit any roadblocks though.

Her udder looks fine. I posted a picture of her a while back. It might have been deleted by now though.
    She is the one you said needed Jenny Craig if she wasn't pregnant. :lol

Now giving the shot...when??? While she is being bred or right before breeding?
    Doesn't it need a little time to work?
    Sorry, I am confused.

4. Hannah got the shot when she was bred. The first time she didn't take, month later she came back in heat, we took her back to be bred, buck bred her and she was given the shot again.

5. sunnygrl_ks

sunnygrl_ks Guest

this means right before introducing doe to buck right?... not during the act right? :rofl

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Actually until she has had the act done to her you don't know if she has been bred. So take her out right as he has bred her, give her the shot and put her back in :) Vicki

7. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Yep too am having issues, we had a doe last that I never saw in heat ever and there was even a buck in there at the end and still no heat signs or pregnancy, so just a couple of days ago I decided to do a vaginal exam as no vets will have any part of it, I tried to put in the speculum and it went maybe 1/2" to an inch and that was it, it would go any further at all so I put in the light and looked and nothing no cervix that I could find. So I did what I was told to do with my finger and I got my gloved, lubed finger in just past my first finger joint. So I am suspecting a freemartin here.

I hope you have better luck with your doe,
    Autumn

8. rg1950

rg1950 New Member

We have a doe like this. We have bred her for the last 2 years,,,,no babies. Now we have cidr'd, pg600, cystorelin....hopefully will know in a few months with a pregnancy test.

Vicki, will any of the above cause a false positive when the blood is sent in for pregnancy test? Also, how long after breeding should I wait before sending the blood in for testing before it will show up preg or not? (if none of the meds will cause false positive) We desparately want this doe to take. Her sister is one of the best milkers we have. This is our last hope with her.

Corky, good luck with your doe ;)

Tara

9. Corky

Corky New Member

I am sure my doe has a birth canal but as for a uterus?

She is a very nice doe and so I guess I will give her one more try.

If no babies next Spring then she goes to the sale barn.

10. Tricia

Tricia New Member

Tara -- No, you won't get a false positive if testing for pregnancy-specific protein B via Biotracking. Went through this last year with a 4-year old who has kidded as a two-year old but now has gone in for a string of cloudburst pregnancies (always going 150 days).