Doe not coming into heat?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by mill-valley, Dec 29, 2008.

1. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

One of my Saanen does appears not to be coming into heat. I know it's usually a case of silent heats and missing them...but even the buck isn't catching it. What can I do to get her bred? The buck has been running with the does for 6 weeks now, he has never shown interest in this doe nor have there been any signs of him messing with her.

2. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Pull blood FIRST and check for preg. before you do anything else. If the doe isn't preg. then come back and we'll give direction to get the doe bred.

She sounds like she's bred to me.
    Kaye

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I agree with Kaye, no way can a doe have silent heats a buck would miss, unless he is really too young to be breeding a tall older doe. I would bet she is bred also. Vicki

4. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Sorry I should have mentioned she is for sure not bred. Biotracking results came today. The buck is young but has successfully settled 6 does this fall.

The one time she came in "heat" was after an injection of Lute, she was bred twice during that heat at the beginning of November but it must not have been a fertile heat as she didn't settle. Before then and since...literally no signs of any change and the buck is never interested in her.

5. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Ooookkkk....so assuming this doe is not bred. AND I'm assuming you took her away from the buck on the day you drew the blood, with no more exposure.
    Reason I am saying the above...lots of does have been *messed* with when there's no sign of heat and it turned out they were bred. I always feel AWFUL about aborts, when some little detail is not said and a course of drugs is started.

So, with that said.....Get a CIDR, put it in this doe. Leave it for at LEAST 14 days-21 would be better. On day 12 after the insertion give her the PG 600 or Lute then pull the CIDR on day 14. Put the buck with her. Watch this doe for signs of heat. I mean check on this doe/buck several times a day, listen for buck blubbering,etc...

IF she doesn't come into a standing noticeable heat...then she may have a false preg. going on. A sonogram would be in order- followed by lute to maybe abort it.? I have no idea if it will.

Another protocol to follow if the CIDR doesn't work....do a uterine flush on her along with Cystorellin and lute or another CIDR. You have the month of Jan. to work with...then your breeding chances are dropping fast.
    Kaye

6. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Thanks for your help.

Where can I get a CIDR?

7. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Ask around your area of people that AI, and show with you. Or contact one of the semen processors. Think Bio-Genics has them for $10 ea.
    Kaye

8. NubianSoaps.com

Beth also ask on OT, perhaps someone will want to bring some in for all of us. They are about half that even with shipping. Vicki

9. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

OK, I have the CIDR. I am going to put it in tonight...is today day 0 or day 1? Do I dare wait 21 days at this point? I am leaning towards 14, I have never bred a doe this late.

How far does this thing go in? I am assuming just inside and the string stays out? I have seen these done in cows but it's been a while.

Also...do I need to worry about touching this thing since I am pregnant? Obviously will not be doing lute myself.

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

hope you have the pusher inserty thing to put the cidr in with. better wear gloves if not.
    and yes the string hangs out. the pushy thing hold the cidr togeter then when you pull it out the cidr flanges back out and holds

11. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Okay, I got it in by hand, wearing gloves. Not so hard at all, but would've been easier with the applicator.

12. NubianSoaps.com

Make sure it is there tommorrow. IF you don't get it far enough in it will not open up on the other side of their muscles, when she squats to pee it will come right out. Vicki